The liars are getting caught up in past love affairs while trying to deal with threats from new A.

All the liars are a little too caught up in the past in the latest Pretty Little Liars episode “Burn This.” While Alison (Sasha Pieterse) is off on her honeymoon, the liars are planning for Hanna’s (Ashley Benson) wedding and the dealing with the collateral damage from A. Way too many storylines are getting compiled into the single episode and each one has a backstory.

Following Byron (Chad Lowe) and Ella’s (Holly Marie Combs) wedding, a few of the liars are cleaning up only to discover some photos A took on a digital camera. The threats begin early this episode, telling the liars to reveal the murderer prior to election night. Emily (Shay Mitchell) suggested possibly to talk to Toby (Keegan Allen) about new A, but the liars quickly shut down the idea.

via prettylittleliars.tumblr.com

Spencer (Troian Bellisario) is with her father trying to savage her mother’s campaign. Mr. Hastings (Nolan North) makes his dislike for Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) clear, but Spencer is too busy to listen because she’s having a flashback to an awkward moment in a dorm room with Toby. Although they both look miserable, there isn’t much more to the flashback than that.

Aria (Lucy Hale) is getting pulled back into the past — but maybe for a good reason. Ezra (Ian Harding), her former lover, reached out to Aria’s editor about the book he’s writing. He asked if Aria could be his co-author and the editor seemed to like the idea of male and female voices. Aria is elated, but that does mean spending a lot more time with a past lover rather than a current one.

Caleb is back to not having a place to go. Throwback to season one when he lived in the school and later in Hanna’s house. Ashley (Laura Leighton) is just trying to be hospitable when she offers Caleb the guest bedroom for a second time, but later Hanna goes ballistic when she finds out. She begins yelling about how her mom loves Caleb more than Jordan (David Coussins) — but it just seems like Hanna is projecting some pretty strong feelings. 

Toby is back and fired up. He is looking for Caleb because Caleb supposedly released the information about Toby’s current girlfriend, Yvonne (Kara Royster), getting an abortion years ago. Caleb shows up and refuses to tell the truth about a new A, despite Spencer’s pleading, so he instead he gets firmly punched in the face. Hmm, maybe that is overdue because Spencer is Toby’s ex-lover?

Later on, Aria and Ezra are nuzzling up together on a couch and passing around a laptop while communicating ideas for the book. Then Lt. Tanner (Roma Maffia) arrives at the door and asks Aria to come in for a lineup. She matches the description of the person who called Charlotte (Vanessa Ray) from The Three Crows the night of Charlotte’s murder.

Although she is set free at the lineup, she goes back and spills coffee all over some files to get a glimpse of some important clues — the woman who made the call had brown hair and pink dice on her key ring. To make matters worse, Sara Harvey (Dre Davis) has been missing in action, but it seems she is the “credible” eyewitness.

via prettylittleliars.tumblr.com

Emily is doing some investigating of her own after almost being ran over by a truck and putting her fingerprints all over the murder weapon. She enters a garage and is confronted by a tough lady. Emily doesn’t give up and finds the truck — but then she gets screamed at to leave.

Spencer’s sister Melissa (Torrey Joel DeVitto) is also falling into old habits — leaving the country whenever she’s a suspect for murder. That’s definitely not sketchy at all. Spencer is fired up and dragging the past to the present. When her father says Caleb needs to be cut out of her life because his values do not coincide with the Hastings family values, Spencer finally cracks and points out how Melissa was sent to England after burying Bethany Young (Jessica Belkin) alive.

Mr. Hastings tells Spencer that Melissa was being blackmailed about the murder. She received threatening messages prior to Charlotte’s hearing, and she only came back to the U.S. to pay off the blackmailer. Mr. Hastings claimed she left again after Charlotte was murdered because she was scared. 

Meanwhile, Hanna is having her wedding shower and she seems less than thrilled. No one really seems to know much about Jordan, and then Mona (Janel Parrish) shows up. To make matters more awkward, Mona’s future may be ruined because of the leak everyone think Caleb did, which means her and Spencer are not on great terms. Oddly enough, it’s Aria that gets burned at the shower — literally. She gets second-degree burns from a malfunction in the electric system and is sent to the hospital.

via prettylittleliars.tumblr.com

A lot if happening, but it’s really not that exciting:

• Spencer leaves the shower to talk to Toby. She tells him the truth about new A and has a flashback again revealing that she and Toby had a pregnancy scare. She calls Yvonne and apologizes.
  • Aria is in the hospital and Ezra is comforting her for quite a while, until Liam (Roberto Aguire) awkwardly shows up.
  • Aria’s editor officially approved the co-author idea.
  • Emily sees that Mona has pink dice on her keychain. She confronts Mona but Mona refuses to talk about it out in the open.

Unfortunately, there is no creepy A scene at the end, but the tough lady from the garage is shown pulling out a ton of $100 bills from an envelope in the car that almost killed Emily. At least there wasn't a villain pulling off a mask Scooby Doo style this episode. 

Pretty Little Liars airs every Tuesday at 8 p.m., on Freeform. 

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu