From "A League of Their Own" to "The Sandlot," here are the best baseball movies of all time.

This week was opening day for a lot of baseball teams — the Cincinnati Reds beat the Philadelphia Phillies 6-2 in their opening day face-off. Baseball is back in “full-swing,” but it is not on 24/7. So if you’re looking to fill your entire day with baseball-related fun, check out these baseball movies:

1. A League of Their Own (1992): If you have ever played baseball or softball you have probably heard someone say to you, “There’s no crying in baseball!” The famous quote comes from A League of Their Own. The line is delivered by Tom Hanks who yells it at a crying Bitty Schram. That scene paired with a starting lineup of actresses — Geena Davis, Rosie O’Donnell and Madonna — is why it should be your go-to pick out of all baseball movies.

2. Field of Dreams (1989): Kevin Costner builds a baseball field in the middle of his crops because a voice said to him, “If you build it, he will come.” The movie isn’t as weird as it sounds, though. It is actually a phenomenal film. It also stars James Earl Jones. The film is set in Iowa, where the owners of the property kept the baseball field. People come from all over come to visit the famous filming location, similar to the end of the film.

via giphy.com

3. The Rookie (2002): A high school science teacher and baseball coach (Dennis Quaid) gets another chance at his dream when his players convince him to try out for a minor-league baseball team. Eventually, he makes it to the big leagues. This is probably a film all of your moms love to watch because it has Dennis Quaid in it. Another actor you might notice is Angus T. Jones who starred in Two and a Half Men. The baseball movie is great for all ages and is based on the true story of Jim Morris. The most memorable scene from the film is when Quaid tests his speed next to a speed limit sign.

The-Rookie-movie-02.jpg

via starpulse.com

4. Rookie of the Year (1993): A clumsy teenager, Henry (Thomas Ian Nicholas), trips over a ball, hurts his arm and becomes the pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. Pretty awesome, right? It was every teenage boy’s dream — maybe not for the Cubs, but for their favorite major league team. In one of the final scenes of the movie, Henry pulls off a rare trick to pick-off a runner — the hidden ball trick. Henry distracts the runner by pretending the rosin bag — used to dry a pitcher's hand off to get a better grip on the ball — is the baseball. The plan ends up working and is one of the most well-known scenes in a baseball movie.

via everymoviehasalesson.com

5. Trouble With The Curve (2012): Any movie with Clint Eastwood is a must-see. Even though it isn’t his typical style of film, he still captivates the audience. Amy Adams plays his daughter, and both of them go on one last trip to recruit baseball players. Eastwood’s character is a traditional scout and doesn’t use the latest algorithms to determine whom he chooses. Instead, he goes with the pop of the glove. The baseball movie has been overshadowed by more popular ones, but it doesn’t discredit the fact that the film is amazing. It is a great film to watch with a father or father-figure. And Justin Timberlake is in it, so that's a bonus. 

via collider.com

6. Angels in the Outfield (1994): A very young Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Roger, a foster kid living in California. When Roger prays to be adopted and have a family if the California Angels win the pennant — which is a long-shot because the team is not very good — angels come to Earth to make the wish come true. If you grew up in the ‘90s, this was probably one of your go-to baseball movies. It’s a film that will make you laugh and feel good.

via giphy.com

7. The Sandlot (1993): The Sandlot is a classic. The movie is the best baseball movie to blend kids’ summer antics with their love of baseball. Even though it can be cheesy at times, it still goes down in the record books as one of the best baseball movies of all time. It coined the phrase “You’re killin’ me Smalls!” — which you can now get on a T-shirt. If you ever want a laugh, search The Sandlot memes on the Internet — it is probably the most meme-able movie of all time. Oh, and who would forget the greatest roast of all time?

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu