College is hard. Living with a bad roommate makes it even harder. Here are some things to avoid, lest you be categorized as a bad roommate.

Don’t Become “These” Roommates

Your first semester at Ohio University could be the first time you’ll share a living space with someone else. Roommates come in all shapes and sizes, and while they can be a lot of fun, they also can be a potential disaster. A bad roommate won’t make or break your freshman year, but living with a difficult person is never a fun time. Avoid becoming “that roommate” with these tips.

The Slob

There’s nothing wrong with being lazy every now and then, but give your roommate the courtesy of keeping the room clean. Slobs are notorious for having foul-smelling rooms due to poor hygiene and the inability to do laundry or take out the trash. Living in a smelly room might as well be a death sentence, so do your part to keep things neat and tidy.

lazy forever alone friends college seinfeld

The Mooch

These roommates seem like nice people, but their intentions are dark and devious. It starts with harmless requests, like “Can I borrow a pencil?” or “Can I borrow a shirt?” Watch out though — they will become an infectious parasite. The requests will quickly turn into “Can I borrow some money?” You don’t want to be that person.

The Snob

College isn't cheap. If you’re fortunate enough to have outside financial assistance, that’s great, but some students are paying for every pen, pencil and paperclip out of your their own pocket. It’s never fun to have a roommate who lives like a king and boasts about how much disposable income they have. “Daddy’s money” will only take you so far, so stay humble.

money rich dollars

The Kid That Acts Like They Live in a Single

It’s extremely frustrating when you’re trying to catch some precious Z’s before your morning class, and the only thing holding you back is the ear-screeching sound of Friends reruns at 3 a.m. Or even worse — you walk into your dorm at 4 p.m. on a Wednesday and find your roommate canoodling with a “friend.” Residence halls are meant to be shared spaces, so don’t act like it’s all yours. Buy a pair of headphones, and if you decide to bring someone back to the room, be courteous and notify your roommate.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="edc87308-1ab2-11e6-80d6-17043346fa7d"}}

The Kid That Has Too Much Fun

No one’s going to argue that there are plenty of opportunities to have fun at OU, but don’t be the roommate that drunkenly stumbles back to the room every night of the week. Underage drinking is a nuisance, but it also has serious consequences. Keep that in mind.

@Jonny_Palermo

jp351014@ohio.edu