A judgment call

Currently, the Ohio Supreme Court is facing a tough decision that concerns possibly the most heinous crime in society save murder. The court has been examining the state's version of Megan's Law to determine if judges have the ability to apply a 'sexually violent predator' label to a first-time offender, based on the likelihood that the person will commit a similar act in the future. The law currently provides for the classification and registration of sexual offenders and permits increased sentences for those deemed 'sexually violent predators'.

At the center of this debate is the case of John Smith of Mt. Gilead, who kidnapped and raped a former girlfriend in 2001. Although this was a first-time sexual offense, the judge labeled him a 'sexually violent predator.' The Fifth Ohio Circuit Court of Appeals later reversed the decision because Smith had not committed another sexual crime since the law was enacted. (However, he did assault a minor in 1989 and served a 10-year sentence.)

It is a shortcoming of the law's wording that Ohio does not take distant crimes into consideration, and the General Assembly should consider rewriting the law. Our society and its correctional system are based on the idea of second chances, but sometimes a second chance is not warranted if the act is serious enough. Judges must have the authority to use this label on any offender, even first-timers, to ensure public safety.

The business of ethics

As corporate America licks its wounds from the damage created by a number of highly publicized scandals, the next generation of businessmen is brushing up on a little thing called ethics. Ohio University's College of Business is making strides to enhance its students' education by putting more of a focus on business ethics. While ethics has always been a part of the college's requirements, scandals in today's business world make the concept more necessary than ever. The three-pronged approach implemented by the college will require students to take a basic ethics course, discussing ethical issues in all business classes and hosting guest speakers that can relay the practical importance of ethics to students. The College of Business is taking the appropriate steps to train morally responsible businessmen, and should continue the course it has outlined. Ultimately, the responsibility to conduct oneself ethically in business -or anywhere else -rests on the shoulders of the individual, but companies and the government need to reinforce the practice of ethical behavior by severely punishing those who violate such standards.

Inevitably, there will be people who choose to follow the bottom line instead of their own conscience, but this number could be significantly reduced if the government steps in and creates white-collar crime laws with teeth. Although some might argue that an ends justify the means attitude is an asset for anyone involved in capitalistic endeavors, in reality, that belief is detrimental to society. Without ethics, no society can function properly. The university is obligated to instill ethics in students before they are released into the real world.

Drinking bill treats religions equally

As everyone of legal drinking age knows, it is illegal for liquor to be sold at any of his or her favorite retail establishment the moment the clock strikes midnight on Saturday evening. However, a bill recently passed by the Ohio House would change this policy in areas where residents have already voted to allow bars to serve such hard spirits on Sundays. This bill is a good step forward in eliminating an unjust law that treats the Christian Sabbath as different from other days of the week. The legislature needs to go a little further and allow for all areas to sell liquor on Sundays regardless of location.

It would be easy to disregard an editorial in any college newspaper as merely celebrating the fact that students can now buy liquor and get intoxicated every day of the week. However, this is not about being able to get drunk; it is about letting people have the freedom to do as they wish. It is unfair to hold the Christian Sabbath in higher regard than Jewish or Islamic holy days. The only way to keep this law on the books is to also outlaw liquor sales on Saturdays and Fridays, and only a minority of people would even consider taking this action. Also, by eliminating this law, Ohio will gain much-needed tax revenue from liquor sales - especially considering how easy it is for people to cross state lines and purchase the outlawed product.

17 Archives

The Post Editorial Board