Budget talk drives council

NELSONVILLE -Filled with heated debate about what budget cuts to make to correct the city's projected $200,000 general fund deficit, the Nelsonville City Council meeting last night included several citizens voicing their concerns about the security of City Manager Fred Holmes' job.

Council members continued to express a desire to cut city emergency dispatchers. Vice President Greg Smith, as well as other members, said the Athens County 9-1-1 could possibly cover Nelsonville if those cuts were made. Several residents, including Sandy McConell, secretary of the Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce, said council needed to raise taxes instead of cutting city jobs.

Ann Judy, owner of Starbrick Clay, 21 W. Columbus St., read council the statements of 13 Nelsonville business owners concerning Holmes' performance in response to Council President Clinton Stanley's remarks a week before. Stanley said if necessary, he would introduce a motion to have Holmes fired if he continued to ignore the concerns of some council members. Judy said she and the others felt the city manager position in general and Fred Holmes were assets to the city.

Holmes presented his job justification report to the council, which included reasons he did not cut certain city jobs. The council, at their last meeting, mandated the report after Holmes gave his budget recommendations that included cuts in the police department and downgrading the fire department to a volunteer force.

In emergency session, the council passed a motion abolishing the position of code enforcement officer. Council members said it was necessary to eliminate the position because, by law, it would have to fill the post and there was no money to do that. Council laid-off the previous enforcement officer to create more money for the general fund. The enforcement officer's last day was May 7.

In other news:

- Holmes said the intersection of Poplar Street and Route 78 would return to a red-green traffic light from the current flashing yellow and red.

He also reported that West Franklin Street, near Doctor's Hospital and Dorr Run Road, would need to be fixed. The cost would be about $1.1 million, councilman Bill Wend said. Holmes said the Ohio Department of Transportation would pay for 80 percent of the cost, while he would seek a grant to pay for the other 20 percent.

- Council members passed an ordinance that increased pool rental prices. The price for residents renting the pool for a group of more than 50 people for a maximum of two hours increased by $25 from last year. The new cost is $250. The price for non-residents doing the same increased from last year by $25 as well. The new price is $325.

No other prices changed.

17 Archives

Jordan Robinson