Council changes spay/neuter ordinance by removing clause

Changes in the proposed spay/neuter ordinance and various traffic concerns were discussed at last night's Athens City Council committee meetings.

The micro-chipping clause of the spay/neuter ordinance was removed, which was a major revision to the proposed ordinance. The purpose of the ordinance is to control the pet population within city limits, said Councilwoman Nancy Bain, D-3rd Ward.

Many concerned citizens attended the meeting, voicing opinions about the ordinance. While some citizens said they saw the ordinance as intrusive and as an effort to undermine Petland, others said they still felt the ordinance was necessary to help control the pet population.

Council members also discussed adding a clause that would use the minor misdemeanor fines collected from residents who were charged with selling or giving away non-spayed or non-neutered animals to fund the Sick and Injured Animal Fund, Bain said.

Kate McGuckin, a representative of the Coalition for Companion Animals in Athens, said she would like to have a mobile spay and neuter unit.

In other council news, council members proposed installing a railing on the sidewalk in front of Bentley Hall at the intersection of Richland Avenue and President Street. The railing would force pedestrians to walk toward Court Street before crossing.

Concerns about high-speed traffic and pedestrians in that area have sparked concern among council members. They also discussed using a crosswalk and putting up more signage for cars traveling up Richland Avenue.

The city has installed two stop signs near 115 N. Congress St. to prevent speeding. If the stop signs do not work, the city might have to go to a one-way system on that portion of the street or install removable humps, said Mayor Ric Abel.

The signs were installed on Thursday, and one of the stop signs has already been stolen, Abel said.

In other council news, Paul Wiehl, D-1st Ward, said he received a suggestion to impose future sanctions for events like Palmerfest. Residents would pay the city a deposit for trash pickup and would be charged for what they did not clean up.

17 Archives

Janet Nester