Fair exhibits student research, creativity

Almost 70 student researchers filled Walter Hall rotunda Thursday with displays that represented months of work at the Student Research and Creativity Fair.

The goal of the fair was to show that education is not only about learning in the classroom, said assistant to the vice president for research Roxanne Malé-brune. We're trying to raise awareness about research and creativity and to make it less intimidating

she said.

Ohio University faculty judged the entries and awarded prizes of $500 for first place and $250 for second place in eight categories: biology, engineering, physical sciences, chemistry, education and social studies, health and medical sciences, biochemistry and fine arts and visual communication.

Some students received scholarships and grants to fund research from sources such as Graduate Student Senate, the Provost's Undergraduate Research Fund and Student Enhancement Awards.

We want to encourage students to get involved said Provost Stephen Kopp. This is an outstanding showcase of student creativity and talent.

Graduate student Casey Holliday, a biological sciences major, tied for first place in biology. He presented his project that compared jaw muscles in birds, crocodiles and dinosaurs. His research looks at the muscle structure and determines the uses and developments of muscle.

If we want to get an idea how to compare we have to get into head anatomy

he said. The development and use of muscles in these different animals helps explain their different skull formations, he said.

Patrick Madden, a Ph.D. student in the English department, won second place in the education and social sciences division with his travelogue experience of his stay in Uruguay. I wanted to combine my own experiences in a different way from typical travelogues

he said.

Madden said he tried to immerse himself in the culture and live as a normal person would in Uruguay rather than taking a typical research approach. He was able to take the trip because of a $6,000 student enhancement award.

That was key

Madden said. Without it

I don't think I could have done it.

Senior Bart Sims and graduate student Jason Fink, both mechanical engineering majors, won first place in the engineering division with their aero design of a fixed-wing aircraft. The pair received a $1,000 grant from the Provost's Undergraduate Research Fund.

It took us all year

Fink said, We tried to show how much effort went into design.

17

Archives