From Athens to Arizona

When he entered Ohio University as a freshman in the fall of 1982, Thom Brennaman still had not chosen what he wanted to do with his life. More than two decades later, it appears he made a good choice.

Since leaving Athens in 1986, Brennaman has made stops in Cincinnati and Chicago but now finds himself in the press box at Bank One Ballpark, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, as one of the most renowned play-by-play announcers in Major League Baseball.

It was not always a foregone conclusion, however, that Brennaman would sit behind the microphone for a living.

Midway through his stint at OU, Brennaman decided to try his hand at broadcasting for WATH/WXTQ in Athens, calling Bobcat women's basketball games. Dave Palmer, then general manager and current president of the station, hired Brennaman and said it was evident right off the bat that he was headed for success.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Some people are meant to do what they end up doing professionally

said Doug Partusch, OU associate director for development and communications and former station manager at WATH. Even being a young broadcaster it was obvious he had the talent to pursue that if he wanted to. I think at that point though

he wasn't really convinced that's what he wanted to do.

While a career in sports broadcasting might not have been an obvious choice for Brennaman, it surely was not too far-fetched. For the last 30 years, Brennaman's father Marty has been the radio voice of the Cincinnati Reds.

The elder Brennaman, inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000, said even as his son decided to attend OU, the career path he would choose was still a mystery.

I had no idea

and I don't think he did either

Marty said. He had no clue what he wanted to do.

One thing was for sure, however. Marty was not going to push Thom into following in dad's footsteps.

I never put any pressure on him. I never believed in parental pressure

he said. I think you need to let your youngsters make the decision on their own with what they want to do with their life.

Marty's youngster made that decision after a couple years in Athens.

At the end of my sophomore year

I decided broadcasting was what I wanted to do

Thom said. I decided I'd love to be doing exactly what my dad was doing.

Success followed, and a love affair with a school and a town has continued.

It was the greatest experience anyone could have asked for

Thom said. I absolutely love Athens and Ohio University. I loved it then

and I love it now.

Thom did more than just radio work at OU, as he also was involved in Greek life, even becoming president of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

It was the single best experience I ever had in my life