Panel discusses hip-hop culture

As a panel of three women began reminiscing about their experiences in hip-hop culture last night in Baker University Center, a discussion began about the significant role females have played in the movement.

The panel, sponsored by the OU Hip Hop Congress, discussed many topics, especially the objectification of women in the media and the change of the hip-hop movement.

If it was not for a woman

hip hop would not have been birthed said Vincent Coleman, public relations chair and co-founder of the Ohio University Hip Hop Congress. You have to have a community of males and females to work efficiently and effectively.

The International Hip Hop Congress has several national and global factions. The OU branch was started last year and has more than 50 members. About eight of them are female.

Hip hop has always been a part of my life said Dominique Ellison, an OU freshman and future vice president of the congress. I just wanted to be with a group of people who have the same love for hip hop and the desire to learn more about it.

Hip hop is not just a form of music, but is a culture that speaks about issues affecting the African-American community and stretching to poverty-stricken areas, Coleman said.

Hip hop is also a means for middle-class black women to reach back to their roots, said Angela Davis, panel member and Lindley Cultural Center head director.

Underground female rappers, such as Roxanne Shante, not only challenged popular male icons but also gave women on the national level a voice, Coleman said.

Other hip-hop artists, such as Queen Latifah, were mentioned as influential figures.

Queen Latifah helped push self-awareness for women during the height of hip hop in the late '80s and '90s, Coleman said.

The struggle before was freedom of speech

said Ashley Ferguson, a sophomore panelist. Nowadays

it's cleaning up the misrepresentation of women.

Seeing young girls dancing provocatively kills me inside

she said.

The women right now are trying to get rid of the 'bitch

ho

slut' stereotype

Ellison said. If there's going to be any change made

the consumers have to make the first step.

Lil' Kim is a beautiful woman, but she puts on a persona in order to be a hip-hop artist, Ellison said.

It's important for everyone

especially for women