Roommates eat, drink and are merry through weekly dinners

Easy Mac and ramen noodles have no place on the dinner table in apartment 402A, where Ohio University seniors Mark Dietsche, Mark Villwock, Scott Francesangelo and Jonathan Lorincz appreciate the value of a sharing a good meal.

Their healthy and financially sound eating habits may be rare across college campuses that are so often fraught with TV dinner lovers and pizza delivery addicts. And the upbeat, positive atmosphere may be testimony to the benefits of eating together.

At 6 p.m. on a typical Thursday night, two of the roommates discussed gambling in collegiate athletics over the ESPN newscaster, while Dietsche served up grilled chicken, rice and vegetables and Lorincz poured the milk. Francesangelo pondered college life, while waiting patiently for his portion.

All college is

is eating and waiting to eat he said, reminiscing of life in the residence halls in particular. Enjoying the time spent doing both, they said, is important.

It's worth the extra work and time you put into it I think

Lorincz said, even though Dietsche bears the brunt of the preparation work.

I used to let other people make dinner

Dietsche said, laughing, until one day Jonathan undercooked the meat.

The grocery shopping is also Dietsche's chore, and for the most part, he said, they all split up the bill.

Dietsche, a mechanical engineering major, learned to cook in high school when his parents left him home alone for a week. And in keeping with their family traditions of eating together, the roommates are always home for Dietsche's dinner Sunday through Thursday nights.

It's so much less expensive

Dietsche said, adding that each home-cooked meal costs an average of $2 a person.

But for lunch the guys are on their own.

Definitely we all cook our lunches by ourselves

Lorincz said, just due to schedules. Francesangelo pondered that.

Hey

speaking of lunches

are those corndogs for everyone? 'Cuz I had a couple

he asked. Yes, they are, Dietsche said.

Arguing over food and money is foreign to them, as is the notion that cooking is a woman's job.

I haven't met any girls down here who know how to cook

Dietsche said, shaking his head. Girls are not better cooks.

For Dietsche, it's important to be a good cook and to cook what everyone likes. He doesn't mind crossing off a few meal items that don't work.

Those hot Italian sausages? They're really bad