Subject of diversity varies among parties

Diversity was the subject of many questions at last night's Ohio University Student Senate presidential forum. Presidential candidates from the Boston Tea Party, the Driven Party and the K.E.G. Party fielded student questions in the first debate of the election.

Mark Morris Mecum, president of the Boston Tea Party, said that diversity was his main priority. Student Senate and the administration have not taken ambitious steps to increase diversity

he said. I don't want to go to a caucasian university any more.

Among Mecum's ideas to increase diversity were an outside consultant to aid in the recruitment process and a minority student union.

Kristen Jensen, president of the Driven Party, said although diversity is not a main aspect of her platform, it is nevertheless a priority. She cited efforts she has already participated in, such as the Student Diversity Task Force, which sponsored the diversity conference in February.

Dominic Barbato, president of the K.E.G. Party, also said that diversity was no less important (to the party) because it was not on the platform. He called the issue a daunting task and said that no one running was really qualified to approach it.

We really don't have a policy. I am hoping if I am elected I can surround myself with people with new ideas Barbato said. The K.E.G. Party is composed of what he called spirited amateurs who have no experience with Student Senate.

Driven, on the other hand, has a large share of incumbents running on the ticket, which Jensen cited as a strength of the party.

They are dedicated individuals she said. We have the cream of the crop

the best of the best.

The Boston Tea Party has only one incumbent on the ticket, Mecum said. We are a movement

he said. Every year there is going to be a Boston Tea Party running for Student Senate.

Students also asked about the relationship with Graduate Student Senate. All candidates agreed that the two entities should be separate but should maintain a close relationship.

Other issues brought to the forum included University Program Council fees, an athletic student senator and the nuisance party ordinance. Students can ask questions through the Student Senate Web site, www.mystudentsenate.com. The second debate will take place next Sunday at 8 p.m. in 227 Bentley Hall.

17

Archives

Andrea Reeder