Volleyball player takes tour of Eastern Europe

Imagine moving from Athens to Eastern Europe.

Former Ohio volleyball player Laura Hageman got a taste of what that move might be like when she traveled to the Czech Republic last week to play on an all-star volleyball team.

The reason? Hageman wants a shot at playing professionally in Europe, and the trip gave her the opportunity to get exposure to the international game as well as to coaches and scouts from the various leagues.

For eight days, Hageman and a team of current and former college players got the chance to go up against some of the best European national teams.

Volleyball-wise

I didn't do as well as I wanted to but the people I met and the girls I played with was greater fulfillment than just the volleyball Hageman said. I didn't want to leave -I didn't want to come back.

The volleyball culture is different from that of the United States, she said. Europeans' intensity and passion comes from the popularity of the sport.

It was interesting to see how important volleyball was to them -it was like football and basketball here. It was amazing

Hageman said.

Although the stats might not have been to her liking, Hageman said she has a 60 percent chance of being signed by a professional team by the end of the month. If that does not happen, the chances go up to 99 percent until the end of August when workouts usually begin, she said.

To help with the contract and all the procedures surrounding it, Hageman signed with agent Tim Kelly of Bring It Promotions, LLC. Kelly, a former UCLA volleyball player, specializes in linking U.S. players with teams in Europe.

If Hageman signs a contract, it could be anywhere from Czech Republic to Denmark -it's just a matter of who wants her the most. In the contract, her salary would be negotiated, but she said that first-year players average about 1,000 Euros per month, which is about $1,200. The team also pays for housing, plane tickets and transportation. A typical season lasts until the beginning of April.

I'm not going to make a lot of money the first year

said Hageman, who will graduate from Ohio in June with a community health degree. I'm not going to get rich

but it will be an invaluable experience.

While it will be something different, Hageman will have to leave her family and fiancé Dan Cobb. The couple will be married next year. Hageman plans to stay one year in Europe because of the wedding plans but is not ruling out returning for a second season.

Dan didn't want me to go at first

but now he's excited for me

Hageman said. It gives him a chance to go to Europe and come visit.

17

Archives