Christian fellowship fraternity joins OU greek life options

Although the Ohio University chapter of Sigma Theta Epsilon Men's National Christian Service Fraternity has been almost two years in the making, the group has just recently begun to promote itself as a Christian fraternity on campus.

We started it up last fall

kind of a slow start because we're kind of setting the precedent said OU senior and STE co-founder member Josh Dobbins, the vice-president and social chair for STE.

OU senior and STE co-founder Mike Grether said the fraternity is still trying to discover its role on campus because no other group is quite like it.

We don't have a mold to follow so lately it's been figuring out the routine for what we do each quarter

what we stand for

what kind of role we want to play in the community. We're really starting to get into the swing of things

Grether said.

Back in May 2003, several OU students decided to open a chapter of STE, on the OU campus, Grether said.

For OU senior and current STE Treasurer and Service Chair Andrew McNamara, the choice to become a founding member of the fraternity was an easy one.

Someone came and asked me if I wanted to be in a Christian fraternity

to found one

and I said

'that sounds good

' McNamara said.

Grether said 13 students traveled to Cincinnati to be initiated and obtain the charter to open the OU chapter of STE.

Although the initial membership dwindled, the fraternity still had eight members, the minimum number needed to begin the chapter, when they were activated as the Beta Theta chapter of STE in November 2003.

Since then, they have been dedicated to increasing their membership and letting students know about their activities, which include serving free meals Tuesdays at Christ Community Wesleyan Church, 6275 Kenney Memorial Lane, in Albany.

We're just trying to get the word out about who we are

what we do