County tops list in state capital budget

Athens County will receive $24.2 million in state funds for capital improvements, more per capita than any other Ohio county, said State Rep. Jimmy Stewart, R-Athens.

Meaning that although some counties will receive more money, Athens County is getting the most money per person -about $400 to be exact.

Cuyahoga County will receive $41.5 million, the most of any county.

The capital budget, done about every two years, finances several construction projects around the state.

The budget usually passes in November, but is running behind this year, Stewart said. The Ohio Senate adjourned early, forcing the capital budget to the back burner for just under two months. The budget came out of committee early on Tuesday and passed the House yesterday.

I suspect the capital budget will pass the Senate in the very near future

Stewart said.

The budget is unlikely to change, said State Sen. Mark Mallory, D-Cincinnati, assistant minority leader. The leaders of the House and Senate, as well as the governor's office, reviewed the budget before it was passed by the House, Mallory said. He also said the budget addresses many key concerns of Ohio residents.

The majority of the county's $24 million is going to higher education, such as Ohio University and Hocking College, with $21 million going to OU.

More than half of the money allocated to OU will be used to fund the construction of the new student center, assuming the budget remains unchanged, said John Kutowski, assistant vice president for facilities planning.

The university received $4 million in the last capital bill for the student center Kutowski said. He added, the $11.3 million the university plans to use for the new Baker Center will pay a chunk of the $20 million the state is expected to pay.

The total project should total $60 million, with students footing the rest of the $40 million, he said.

The construction of the student center is still on schedule -slated to open in January 2007, Kutowski said.

The university will receive funding for projects on campus for the following amounts: $4.8 million for the Lausche Heating Plant on West Green, which handles heat for the entire campus; $4.3 million for basic renovations; $271,000 for air conditioning on the Chillicothe campus; $259,000 for a new maintenance building; $150,000 for Alden Library planning; $112,000 for Clippinger Lab planning; and $50,000 for general classroom improvements.

Currently, the budget includes about $1.3 million for Hocking College, which according to Hocking College spokeswoman Judy Sinnett, the money might be used to fund Hocking's Culinary Arts Lab.

Our lab would include state-of-the-art materials Sinnett said.

17

Archives

Chris Yonker