Debate regarding retirement center site continues

A crowd of about 100 people gathered at the Athens Community Center last night to discuss the controversial proposal for a retirement center on Stimson Avenue. More than 30 residents spoke at the public forum, which was held by the Athens City Planning Commission.

Those in favor of the center, almost overwhelmingly senior citizens, talked about the need for such a facility in Athens. They said the elderly of the city are forced to move out of town when they can no longer live independently.

I would hope there might be a good facility where I could spend my last years in peace and comfort

said Bob Sympson, an Athens resident.

The opponents were predominantly east side residents concerned about building on or near a flood plain, as well as the erosion of green space and community land.

The site is not safe no matter what they say said Christine Fahl of Morris Avenue. They haven't thought it through.

The planning commission will continue to discuss the issue at its subsequent meetings. The developer, National Church Residences, will be asked to address questions about the flood plain and technical issues such as water, fire and utilities. On Feb. 3, the Army Corps of Engineers will present a new map of the flood plain that may shed more light on the proposal, said Commission Chair Joanne Prisley.

Four out of five commission members must give the plan final approval for it to be passed along to Athens City Council. Council is then required to hold a public hearing.

The only certainty in this matter is that both sides of the debate are passionate about their positions.

If this opportunity is not seized upon

I fear this will be our last chance

said Jack Ellis, a 38-year Athens resident who served 10 years on a committee working to attract a center.

Most of the plan's opponents said they recognized the need for a retirement center, but they did not think the Stimson Avenue site is appropriate.

This is by no way the last chance; there is lots of land available in Athens

said east side resident Loraine McCosker, amidst snickers from the seniors.

There has been a discussion of a retirement center on land near Armitage Road just outside city limits, said Steve Pierson, director of development and facilities.

But the Stimson Avenue site is by far the cheapest option. Owned by the university, the land has been offered for a $1 a year lease. Also, residents would be within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and university events.

Several east side residents asked the planning commission to remember the city's youngest residents, who use the open space to play.

We'd love to have children around

it reminds us of our grandchildren

said Margaret Topping, who has spearheaded the effort to build on Stimson Avenue. We want to be a part of your neighborhood.

17

Archives