India: the world's most spiritual place

Helvetica sans-serif>— Editor’s Note: Parts of this column appeared on an online forum, hipforums.com, but were writtenby the author.

sans-serif> I think every single person must visit India at least once. Somehow or another I promise it will change your life forever. It is beautiful and it is filthy. It is the essence of tranquility, yet it is noisy. It is rife with corruption and gang wars, yet it is the most spiritually vibrant place in the world.

Helvetica

sans-serif> India is my very soul. In infinitesimal bits, adding up to everything I am, India is imbued in me, in every pore of my being, in more ways than numbers can count. Living in India is very cheap if you are willing to live rough. And that is the way to see the country. You will not see the soul of India through the window of a high-rise hotel. To truly experience the land you need to walk in the mud, feel the breeze of the sea and the mountains, to bathe in the rivers and sleep on the grass. Where can I tell you to go? Every stone has a history; every gnarled old tree has a tale to tell.

Helvetica

sans-serif> Should I guide you to Kerala, its temples clothed in glistening green rainforests?

Helvetica

sans-serif> Perhaps you should walk in the sequestered silence of the Himalayas, home of saints and monks, majestic and noble, irrigating the whole country with its pure mountain waters.

Helvetica