New course to help students understand basics of Hebrew

To make Jewish students more comfortable during Hebrew songs and prayers at synagogue services, Hillel at Ohio University is offering a six-week course in Hebrew.

If a student comes to religious services and can't follow along in Hebrew

they feel some level of discomfort and may not come back or continue to be involved in Jewish life because they feel alienated said Hillel director Rabbi Danielle Leshaw.

The course, which is taught by Leshaw and sponsored by the National Jewish Outreach Program, will begin with the basic Hebrew alphabet and progress to words and sentences.

A strong Jewish identity is based on many things one of those being the ability to speak and read Hebrew

one of the languages of the Jewish people

Leshaw said.

Leshaw decided to offer the course after students requested a class that would teach them Hebrew because similar classes did not exist in the OU curriculum.

OU senior David Friedman said he enrolled in the course because he can only read the English version of the prayers and would like to understand the services better by learning Hebrew.

Most of the readings are in Hebrew and most of the songs and prayers are in Hebrew. I think the goal for me is to be able to read through an entire prayer by the end of the class and be able to keep up with the rest of the group

Friedman said.

OU junior Jenna Thompson, who is considering converting to Judaism, said she hopes the class allows her to better understand the religion.

I think it would be nice to have that connection to the roots of Judaism

Thompson said.

Leshaw said nine people have signed up for the class, but she is prepared to teach anywhere from 15 to 20 students. Jews or those interested in the religion can show up at the first class session from 3 to 4 p.m. today at Hillel, 21 Mill St. The class will meet on Mondays for six weeks.

Friedman said the course would be popular with Jewish students who never had the opportunity to learn Hebrew.

Most students learned to speak and read Hebrew when they were younger

and those of us who haven't are kind of on the outside

Friedman said.

Because the course will cover a large amount of material in only six weeks, students will move through the lessons at a rapid pace and will be expected to put in time outside of the class, Leshaw said.

Materials for the class, including books are provided free to the students courtesy of the National Jewish Outreach Program. The course is also free.

17