Resident life staff encompasses many

Diverse is not a word that most students use to describe their Resident Assistants, but some RAs at Ohio University represent different countries, sexual orientations and cultural backgrounds, though OU does not keep statistics on the race, ethnicity, religion or sexual preference of RAs.

David Rytzarev, a senior industrial and manufacturing engineering major, is the RA of Hoover House's fourth floor. Rytzarev, who originally hails from Russia, moved to Israel when he was 12 years old and later chose to come to the United States in order to attend OU.

I was looking for new experiences in the U.S.; all of the professional and business opportunities

he said.

Ryzarev came to the United States in the summer of 2001 and became an RA later that year. He has continued his duties off and on during the past four years.

Although Ryzarev's background is different from his residents, he said that he would never force them into learning about his multi-cultural upbringing.

I'm ready to discuss it he said, but it's not my job to change people. People are as good as they come.

While Ryzarev's residents are accepting of his culture, some RAs find difficulty in being socially diverse.

Brian Straight, a second year Latin American studies graduate student who is also the Assistant Resident Director of the Sargent/Wilson Complex, said past RAs have had negative experiences regarding their sexual preference.

An RA that we had last year put up fliers announcing a 'Speak Out' rally and a student went through the hallways and took them all down

he said. Usually

students leave the fliers around my door alone

but when I looked

that was the only flier that had been removed.

Straight said lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender RAs are the only RAs that seem to experience any discomfort.

Not all LGBT RAs have difficulty earning respect among their residents. Rebecca Berry, a third year physics major, said her RA, who is openly bisexual, has not encountered any problems with her residents.

Everyone is very open on our floor

she said. We actually have floor agreements that say we won't discriminate against anyone. There has never been a confrontation with anyone.

Some RAs think being a minority gives them an advantage over other RAs. Residence Life posters strongly encourage ethnic minority

gay

lesbian

bisexual