Running for more than himself

When Ohio track and field sprinter Dan Bailey first came to Athens, he said he was not sure where he would be able to share his Catholic beliefs on campus, which he learned at home since he was young.

Quickly Bailey found many other students looking for the same kind of religious support while away at college.

I got involved with Campus Crusade and Athletes in Action

and they have been helping me out he said, giving me things to do as far as service helping me learn more

helping me share my faith and learn more about God.

Bailey said that even though he is busy with track practice and classes, he always makes time to attend Campus Crusade and Athletes in Action events.

Last spring, Bailey and Ohio football kicker Craig Donahue helped at a golf outreach program and were able to raise enough money to invite people to play golf at a discounted price.

We invited them to come out and gave them information about Christ and about God and about Christianity

Bailey said. And we just got to play pretty much for free around the golf course.

Athletes in Action staff member Mark Heflin said Bailey is an outstanding leader and is well liked by everyone.

He has a deep faith in God

has tremendous discipline

great talent and is an excellent student

he said. He studies God's word and desires to have his fellow students do the same.

The sophomore engineering major leads a Bible study group for the track team and is also in another study with athletes involved in different sports.

Bailey said he hopes to participate in one of the many activities open to Athletes in Action members during the summer.

We go on mission trips with Athletes in Action

where there are tough camps for different sports

and they are held in different areas of the United States

he said. I know for track