Shot-glass ban sparks controversy

How is getting rid of Ohio University shot glasses (Use of OU logo: shot

Jan. 24) going to make it look like the university is concerned with the unhealthy drinking of the student population? There are still various other styles of glasses that are designed for or often used for the consumption of alcohol.

I am a recovering alcoholic and have been dry for almost six months. You still can find me at bars and parties having fun with my friends while drinking water or soda. I am not one of those rabid anti-drinkers. In fact, I honestly do not care what people do. If they want to drink, then let them. I even buy drinks for my friends when I am in a particularly generous mood.

I used to drink copious amounts of liquor. I did not like beer. But I rarely ever had shots. Aside from a few on my 21st birthday, I can think of only two times when I ever took a shot, and of those three instances, none was ordered by me. I do, however, own an OU shot glass. In fact, I bought it before I started drinking. And I can't remember using it for myself other than to measure liquor when baking.

Over my years here I have seen thousands of people imbibing alcohol. Some of them have been smart about it, and some have not. There is always at least one person who drinks far beyond what he or she can handle and ends up getting sick and ruining the fun. People need to learn to drink. If you start slow, you can become a mature and responsible drinker. It would not be smart to take your car out on the interstate if you have never driven before, and the same idea applies here. It is not smart to jump straight into taking shot after shot.

That is not to say that people should not do shots. I have seen hundreds of people get completely hammered off of nothing more than beer. And when OU has its logos all over beer steins that hold far more than one beer is that any more responsible?

Why discriminate against the liquor drinker who likes to change things up a little and have some fun while showing school pride? If he or she can have an OU stein, highball or tumbler, then why not a shot glass? We should not let the administration and -by extension -ourselves condone pouring two or more beers into a single glass, but not an ounce and a half of liquor on its own.

-Aaron Rothberg is a senior history

major. Send him an e-mail at

aaron.rothberg@ohiou.edu. 17

Archives

The Post Editorial Board