Sonny is money

Sonny Troutman is running up the kind of free throw record that makes opponents want to guard him at arm's length. In the past five games, every shooting foul on Troutman has meant another two points for the Bobcats.

Coach Tim O'Shea said sinking free throws is one of Troutman's many talents.

That's just Sonny's game

he's kind of like a jack of all trades O'Shea said after the Kent State game. But he can handle the ball he's a great one-on-one player

he's really good at drawing the defender and kicking

he's got those quick hands and he really knows how to anticipate for steals.

Since the Jan. 5 game against Ball State, Troutman has yet to miss from the line, making 20 free throws in a row. He made 9-of-11 free throws at Ball State, including the last four of the game. Since then he has been perfect, including games against Marshall, 8-for-8; Northern Illinois, 0-for-0; Kent State, 2-for-2; Central Michigan, 2-for-2; and Miami, 4-for-4. Since the beginning of the season, Troutman has attempted 63 free throws and made 52 (82.5 percent).

Troutman contributed eight points to Ohio's score last Saturday, half of which were from free throws. He also scored in double digits in 10 games out of 15 this season, peaking at 18 points at Ball State.

Seeking to maintain the streak

Although the Bobcats are looking forward to playing at home, where the scoreboard has not displayed an Ohio loss this season, they will face a tougher schedule than they did earlier in the season.

Of the team's next eight games, six will be played at home. But if anyone is going to rain on the Bobcats' home winning streak parade, the six teams making the trip to the Convo in the next few weeks are among the best qualified in the league to do so.

Opponents Toledo (7-8, 3-3 MAC), Bowling Green (11-4, 5-2), Western Michigan (13-4, 6-1), Miami (10-5, 5-2), Akron (11-5, 5-3) and Eastern Michigan (9-8, 3-5) make up what O'Shea referred to as the iron of the league.

The Bobcats play host to Toledo Wednesday at 7 p.m., when they will play their first mid-week home game since winter break. Saturday, the men's and women's teams play a

double-header in the Convo; the women play against Buffalo at 1:00 p.m. and the men will face Bowling Green at 3:30 p.m.

-Elizabeth Goussettis

17

Archives

Elizabeth Goussetis

200501252382midsize.jpg