Students storm Capitol

Members of three campus political groups traveled to Washington, D.C., yesterday for the inauguration of President George W. Bush. Ashley Herzog of the Ohio University College Republicans cheered on the president, while the College Democrats and InterAct were among the protesters.

President Bush was officially sworn in shortly before noon. While Herzog, the only member from the OU College Republicans who went, was able to watch the ceremony from an area directly behind Washington congressmen, the College Democrats and InterAct both held up signs like War Begins with 'W' farther down on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Eighteen students with the College Democrats traveled to Washington, D.C., on buses, accompanied by the Wood County Democrats of West Virginia. They left Parkersburg, W. Va., at 12:30 a.m. yesterday.

Speaking from D.C. yesterday after the inauguration and before the parade, OU College Democrats President Amy Flowers said, holding a Worst President Ever sign, We're just waiting for Dubya to come rolling on down the street ... to finally do our protesting to our president.

The inauguration has caused a considerable lowering of morale among former Kerry supporters, Flowers said.

I'm heartbroken

said Flowers. It's more or less depressing that we have to suffer under the same administration and the same leader.

InterAct, an OU student organization and a social justice group in Athens, sold out a 55-person charter bus that took InterAct and community members to the inauguration. They had a specific message to give in D.C., said Janelle Eli, a senior political science major and member of InterAct.

We're going to be demonstrating to show Bush that 51 percent of the vote isn't a mandate for his foreign policies Eli said.

Herzog, a freshman who joined the Republicans Fall Quarter, was of a different mind set.

I'm glad we didn't change leaders in the middle of the Iraq war Herzog said. I think (Bush) is a good leader.

Speaking of the criticism Bush has received during his term and the prospect of his next four years, Herzog said, I think he'll do a better job. Kerry was too afraid of criticism to do that.

Inauguration activism did not occur just at the heart of the event, though. Yesterday on campus from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., members of the College Democrats stood at College Gate, selling $5 democratic unity bracelets and encouraging Kerry supporters to wear black clothing or Kerry shirts.

We want to give out one main theme

said Nicole Thompson, College Democrats secretary. We're sad that we lost

we're sad that Bush is going to be president again

but it's time that we need to move on. and we need new hope.

17

Archives

Matt Burns