'Superstar' awarded for achievements

Ohio University Student Senate gave the first Superstar Award to student Amelia Flaum at its meeting last night.

Richard Greenlee, Social Work chair, nominated Flaum, who is president of the Student Social Work Committee and secretary of the school's honor society, for this award. Greenlee said some students do well in school and poorly in community service, while others do well in community service but not in school.

Amelia is a fine combination of the two

Greenlee said. She does fine with her grades and community service.

Senate plans to give three more Superstar Awards this quarter.

After the award presentation, Student Senate President Kristen Jensen said that the senate discussed and came to the conclusion that Dominc Barbato would remain on staff because he had not violated the constitution.

Also during the meeting, Senator of Women's Affairs Linsey Pecikonis said it booked Casa Nueva for Mom's Weekend as part of Take Back the Night week. Women's Affairs will donate the money raised that weekend to My Sister's Place, a local shelter for battered women, Pecikonis said.

Pecikonis also said there is a fund of $20,000 that will go toward lighting on campus to increase safety. She said OU is also considering helping light some of the streets Athens owns.

In other senate news:

¥Senator of City and County Affairs Brian Footer said the money that comes from the spay and neuter ordinance, which only allows breeders to refrain from sterilizing their pets, will be given to the Humane Society and the local cat shelter.

¥Kristin Mazgaj, senator for off-campus life, said there will be a 10-question e-mail survey sent to all juniors and seniors who live off campus. The questions ask students about their relationship with their landlords, and the results will be compiled to form a renter's guide for Fall and Winter Quarters next year.

¥At the end of the meeting two resolutions passed: Stephan Oechsle was appointed as senator for Greek Life, and Neil Waggoner was appointed as South Green senator. 17

Archives

Emily Tudor

20050120598midsize.jpg

Student Senate President Kristen Jensen, right, presents Amelia Flaum, center, an OU senior, with the Superstar award at the senate meeting held in Walter Hall on Wednesday, January 19, 2005. Flaum was nominated by Dr. Richard Greenlee, left, chair of the