Track travels to Marietta

The Ohio men's and women's indoor track and field team has their jitters out, as Jericka Duncan likes to put it, and they are ready for another meet this weekend.

The Bobcats will be among 17 other schools traveling to Marietta Saturday for the Marietta College Open.

Ohio and Robert Morris are the only Division I teams that will be competing at the meet. Other schools competing will be Ashland, Tiffin and Malone College, Ohio coach Clay Calkins' alma mater. Schools will also be coming from outside of Ohio, seven from West Virginia, two from Virginia and one from Pennsylvania.

There will also be unattached competitors at the meet, including the Ashland Elite, a group of competitors coached by former Olympian Judd Logan, who will be throwing at the meet in preparation for possible Olympic participation.

Long jumper and sprinter Tyler Edwards said the meet this weekend is going to help the athletes get into the season to prepare for bigger and more competitive meets.

We are just getting ready for the bigger meets toward the end of the indoor season -the Ohio State

the meets that have a lot of teams coming Edwards said. It's basically a training day for most of the athletes.

On the women's side, Duncan said she is excited for the opportunity to show what the team can do.

This meet is in Marietta so we don't have to wake up as early. It's only 45 minutes away Duncan said. It's an advantage for us. We don't have a home track meet so this is as close to home as we're going to get.

Events for the Marietta College Open will begin at noon Saturday. The events will be held in the Dyson Baudo Recreation Center.

17

Archives

Michelle Munoz