Rapper L.I.F.E. returns to Athens

After skipping town to launch a rap career in Houston, Texas, Detrick Rhodes is back in Athens to help bring respect to the local hip-hop scene.

Rhodes, also known as L.I.F.E., has yet to finish his degree at Ohio University. After the workload became too restricting, he took time off to materialize a dream by moving to Houston.

I think Houston is the next spot to get national attention

Rhodes said. There are a lot of resources being put into Houston as far as the rap business goes.

While in Texas, Rhodes hooked up with Mike Jones from Ice Age Entertainment. After proving his skills on a mixtape with the established dirty south rappers like Lil' Flip and Slim Thug, Rhodes signed to Ice Age.

From the six degrees of separation I knew somebody who knew somebody Rhodes said. So we connected like that.

From his work on the mixtape, Rhodes almost had the chance to work with famed rapper Lil' Flip, but Flip's label intervened and halted the collaboration. Rhodes has just been satisfied with Flip taking notice of his work.

When we were supposed to do a song his label cut him off from doing songs with lower-level individuals

Rhodes said. They don't want his market value to go down.

With Rhodes' connections in Ohio and Ice Age finding a fan base in Cleveland, he returned to Athens to help drift Ice Age into the Midwest.

They have been trying to move out to the Mid

so we combined it

Rhodes said. I give you part of my market and you give me part of yours.

In only a week's time, in Athens, he has put in work on a new album set for release in the spring. Thus far, he is five songs deep and has been showing hometown love by working with local acts like Ill Street Crew, Kresile Tiu and producer Clarence Gaines. Rhodes said he feels good about the direction of his new songs.

I can't say the new album is totally different; it still has some of the same elements

Rhodes said. It definitely comes from a different perspective. I think the first album was more Athens friendly. Now I'm abroad

and that is influencing my music.

Rhodes said his main goal is to bring national attention to Athens. Rhodes considers the current scene a turf war for the market. He called the scene a throwback hip hop market, meaning artists depend on shows and word of mouth to get their name out instead of through music videos.

I think last year we introduced Athens to the hip hop scene

started developing the foundation stage

Rhodes said. Now it's time to really establish it and show it really is a landmark and something that's here to stay.

Rhodes' show tonight begins at 10 p.m. at the Union, 18 W. Union St. Opening acts include: Chase Manhattan with DJ Auxsend, DJ Ndecent, DJ X-plosive and DJ Kut Nyce. Admission is $3.

-Blake Gillespie