R&B artists entertain OU students, siblings

Ohio University students and their siblings were treated to the talents of recording artists Lil Wayne and John Legend Saturday night at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. The concert was sponsored by Ohio University's Black Student Cultural Programming Board.

R&B singer Legend started off the night with a collection of songs from his first album, Get Lifted.

Dressed in dark denim attire, Legend switched from pumping up the crowd with songs that dealt with cheating in relationships to numbers that showcased his piano playing abilities.

Legend ended his set with Live it Up

a song about celebrating his success in the music business, written when he was trying to gain a record deal. Legend told the crowd, It never hurts to be prepared.

After Legend finished, the audience had a 45-minute wait for Lil Wayne. Despite Lil Wayne's tardiness, the crowd instantly rose once he and company arrived on stage.

Lil Wayne began his show by introducing the various members of his posse and addressing his fans. During his set, he asked for the house lights to be turned on so he could see his fans.

I like that sign Lil Wayne said, as he pointed to the lone sign in the crowd. Damn it makes me feel like 'N Sync or some shit.

Lil Wayne kept his fans entertained with hits such as Throw It Up

during which he repeatedly encouraged the crowd to put their hands in the air, and his rap from the Destiny's Child song Solider.

Nikki Brown, a senior public relations major and the public relations chair of the Black Student Cultural Programming Board, said approximately 1,700 people were in attendance for the concert. She also said the Black Student Cultural Programming Board chose Sibs' Weekend for the concert as a recruiting device.

Our motto is to bring empowerment through cultural awareness

she said. We put on this program for minority sibs as something fun

to encourage them to come to Ohio University.

17

Archives

Lindsey Srp

200502071113midsize.jpg