Boeh leaves behind overall record of wins

Throughout Thomas Boeh's 10-year term as director of athletics at Ohio University, many varsity sports excelled, some even becoming repeat Mid-American Conference Champions. Following his stint as a Bobcat, Boeh did attribute a large part of the accomplishments to the individual coaches.

If you look at the success rate we have been pleased with our coaches

Boeh said. What it comes down to is people.

The last and most recent of the various achievements during Boeh's term was the Ohio men's basketball team's run to the NCAA tournament, after powering their way through the MAC to become conference champions.

The Ohio volleyball team also made their way to the NCAA tournament this year, breaking through to the second round. The team came out of this season MAC Champions and also holds the best volleyball record in school history at 29-3.

Volleyball coach Geoff Carlston said that Boeh went the extra distance to acknowledge the team's successes.

He went out of his way to make the team feel important Carlston said. I think the big thing for us was that he was very supportive of female sports in general. We never felt like we were being overlooked. He always made the players feel like what they were doing was important and their successes were important. Knowing that you have the backing of your administration makes a difference to the athletes.

In 1997, Ohio's baseball team came out at the top of the MAC in both the regular season and in the tournament. Their final record that season was 43-18, the most wins in school history.

The wrestling team has won three MAC championships in the 10 years under Boeh, in 1995, 1997 and 2001, and leads the league in most all-time MAC titles. Ohio has also taken the MAC Coach of the Year award those three years and earned several individual awards.

The women's swimming and diving team has also claimed three MAC titles in the past 10 years, earning the championship in 1995, 2000 and 2001.

Coach Greg Werner of the swimming and diving team said that he did not look into the stands during meets but he did know when Boeh came. He noted that Boeh played a part in the victories of the team.

He created an environment of stability and opportunity for us Werner said. He gave me the opportunity to coach. It was my first opportunity to be a collegiate coach and I was certainly very appreciative of that.

The women's soccer team, a team that Boeh helped to develop, managed to capture their share of the MAC title in 1998, only their second year as a program. In 2000, under coach Stacy Strauss, the team took their first full MAC title. The field hockey, softball and cross-country teams also earned themselves MAC titles, while Boeh headed the athletic department.

17

Archives

Michelle Mu-oz

200505241590midsize.jpg

Thomas Boeh