Contemporary tunes bring no satisfaction

On Tuesday The New York Times reported that sustained cocaine use increases the risk of developing aneurysms by 30 percent. Later that day The Rolling Stones announced a new world tour.

No doubt with their iPods tuned to Good Charlotte and Green Day, many OU students failed to notice. In fact today's youth are shockingly Stones-illiterate. Recently a Post staffer who will remain nameless asked me Is this Modest Mouse? when I put on Miss You.

That campy foray into disco, a tune that would make only the most eccentric Stones fan's top 10, is alone cosmically better than the combined catalog of most groups heard on today's airwaves or iPods.

Learning to double click a computer mouse is a lot easier than learning to play guitar. Gang, when you go back to your dorm room tonight, scroll past Miss You and nudge that little arrow over Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Rocks Off. While your precious bandwidth is tied up with the task, take one last look at those Blink-182 and Simple Plan posters.

This weekend take a break from scraping the tape marks off the wall and click on anything by The Stooges, MC5 or Black Sabbath. There aren't enough residual tape marks on this planet to rattle your RA the way Iggy, Ozzy and Kick Out The Jams are going to.

A few years ago my mother's best friend from college confided to me, among other things, a great rock 'n' roll moment from her youth. A lone police officer pulled his squad car up to a house party just as someone put on Sympathy for the Devil. He demanded silence; instead the party encircled him and his car, dancing and shouting Who-whoo!

Rock & Roll won that battle, but it's a war out there. We have sunk to such lows that these grandpas are now needed to show you how lame your RAs, teachers, and parents are.

-Jake Mecklenborg, a graduate student in the school of art, is The Post's photo editor. Send him an e-mail at jm191102@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Letter to the Editor