Dancers tap for school children

East Elementary children packed into the theatre yesterday morning to see the dress rehearsal of SOD

the Ohio University School of Dance Spring Dance Concert.

Little voices in the audience chimed in throughout the show.

Having kids at the performance really helped the dancers get genuine feedback, senior dance major Whitney Jacobs said. They really let you know if they like it if they don't.

I think it's a myth that to watch a dance concert you have to be quiet said dance minor Claire Russell, who has been doing an independent study at East Elementary by teaching creative dance. Russell created a discussion sheet for the teachers to explain the elements of a show, such as the lighting.

This year's dance repetoire focuses on modern dance, but also includes some variety. The concert started with an energetic a capella piece by the OU Tap Cats called Over the Top. The stage then filled up with color in an airy Spanish piece, Porque esto es lo que queremos hacer

choreographed by sophomore Darcy Shaffner.

The show was shorter because of the kids, but in the regular performances there will be two more pieces, including one from guest artist Earl Mosley from Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

In the piece Stealing Spoons

choreographed in a freshman composition class, the dancers documented their life paths as they weaved to and fro on the stage, interspersing the walking with movement. Each repeated three autobiographical statements, such as I like ice cream.

One child piped in: I like ice cream too!

Freshman dance major Brandt Laverick did a tap solo he choreographed with his sister to Mack the Knife by Bobby Darrin. He called the piece For My Dad

as his father always wanted him to try the relaxed style of tap, he said. Laverick was also in Stealing Spoons and the Tap Cats number.

The show debuted last night and will be performed again at 7 and 9 tonight in the Shirley Wimmer Dance Theatre in Putnam Hall. Admission is $6.

17

Archives

Ellie Behling