Gas stations await summer sales

Gas prices have begun to decrease nationwide, as have the costs of crude oil, but consumers will continue to feel the effects of high gas prices as Memorial Day weekend kicks off the summer driving season.

Yesterday, consumers paid a national average of $2.11 per gallon of regular unleaded gas, a price that decreased from $2.22 at the same time last month, according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report. But yesterday's price also reflected a 6-cent increase from the same cost a year ago.

The higher gas prices have caused mixed reactions from local gas station owners.

Kevin Goldsberry, who ownsDale's BP station at 50 N. Court St., said the increased price level, combined with a massive decrease in student traffic, has the potential to damage profits during the summer.

Though Goldsberry said consumption has decreased only slightly with the recent price increases, he remains worried that summer business will be significantly slower, a trend from the past few summers he hopes will not continue. Instead, he said he hopes increased traffic from summer driving and university events will bring the business he needs.

But not all stations suffer because of the lack of student driving. Keith Young, who manages P.A.'s Sure Stop, 8942 United Lane, said summer driving by permanent residents and traveling vacationers makes up for gas typically consumed by the missing students.

Young also said the higher price level has had a relatively low impact on consumption at his station because local drivers need fuel to get to work and run other errands regardless of the cost.

Operating on this principle of need, The Kroger Co. has installed a fuel center at its East State Street grocery store. The fuel center, which cost the company about $400,000, will create six new jobs and include eight pumps, but more importantly, it will offer added convenience for local drivers and shoppers, said Dale Hollandsworth, the company's advertising manager.

Other gas station owners are working to reduce their prices and encourage steady consumption levels among both area residents and highway travelers.

Demetrios Prokos, owner of Prokos Gas, 544 Richland Ave., and another station in Nelsonville, has lowered his prices by more than a quarter since he took over the stations in late April. Yesterday, Prokos Gas was among several Richland Avenue stations posting prices at less than $2.

Prokos said the increase in traffic during the summer usually balances out the loss of many Ohio University students.

But he acknowledged he can sacrifice his profits for only a certain period of time.

I cannot do it forever

he said. We expect that people who realize what we're doing will help us.

As for the direction prices will head in the coming months, Prokos summed up the thoughts of many owners: He who tries to predict the price of gas is either a fool or a very very

very smart man.

17

Archives

Kantele Franko

200505262858midsize.jpg

Dale's BP, at the corner of State and Court streets, is a convienient yet expensive answer to local residents' need for gas. This photo shows that the gas was around $2.09 a gallon for regular unleaded fuel.

Dropping prices, increased driving will affect profits