Head coach leaves lacrosse team to focus on family

For Ohio women's lacrosse coach Kate Brew, motherhood and coaching created a tough scale to balance.

The stresses of raising a child and coaching a varsity sport brought upon her decision to step down as head coach yesterday, which was announced by Interim Director of Athletics Amy Dean.

She informed me of her decision Tuesday

and it was a surprise even though I wasn't shocked by it because she just had a baby and has been facing the demands of motherhood Dean said. That dictated why she made a move that was in the best interest of her and her family.

Brew led the Bobcats to a record of 5-11 this year and ended her campaign at Ohio with an overall record of 18-29. Brew said the team is on its way up and her departure is not because of the losing record.

I think this is a wonderful program even though we didn't get the wins and losses we hoped for this year Brew said. For personal reasons

I have chosen to move back closer to my family because of my daughter

and right now I am focusing on taking care of my child and being close to my family.

Brew has coached eight All-Conference players and two All-Regional honorable mentions in her three seasons and said she knows the program is going places.

This is going to be a very special program

she said. I am sure whoever takes over will definitely keep it going and improving where I left off.

Dean said a national search for a new coach will begin immediately and will include help from Brew.

I'll refer to Kate and get her input on regards of qualified candidates and find out who some rising coaches are

Dean said. She is truly interested in insuring the progress of the program and is more than willing to help in the search. There will also be representation from the team in the search board and other people from the department.

Assistant coach Jess Roguski said she has been close with Brew and was aware of the situation.

I understood her dilemma and how it was very hard for her to make the decision

Roguski said. The players are surprised

but they also understand her personal reasons and her decisions. Right now they are in a limbo period where they are nervous and don't know what's going to happen.

Dean said she admired Brew's dedication despite the heavy responsibility she was bearing.

She was committed to her coaching

to her student-athletes and her family; it took her a lot of courage to make this choice

Dean said. It was a tough choice but probably the best one for her right now. We wish her the best of luck because she is really a great person.