Indians lose in bottom of the 11th inning to Minnesota Twins

Stewart ripped a 2-2 pitch from Riske (1-2) over the wall in straightaway center field and into the empty picnic pavilion as the Twins won the third straight extra-inning game between the AL Central rivals.

Of the 10 games between Minnesota and Cleveland this season, six have been decided by one run.

The Indians had not gone to extras against the same team in three games in a row since Aug. 28-30, 1967, at Kansas City.

Jesse Crain (5-0) pitched the 10th and Joe Nathan worked a shaky 11th for his 14th save. Nathan, who blew his second save on Wednesday night, gave up a two-out walk and single before getting Jody Gerut to fly to right.

Minnesota's bullpen, which came in with a 2.59 ERA, shut out Cleveland over the final five innings on four hits.

Gerut had three hits for Cleveland, which dropped to 7-13 in one-run games.

Indians third baseman Aaron Boone made two fielding errors, failed to bunt a runner over in the eighth and popped out on the first pitch with a runner on in the 10th.

Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia, who before the season said he hated the Twins, still can't beat them. The left-hander pitched well enough to win but was hurt by five walks, the most painful one with two outs to Mike Redmond in the ninth.

That one cost Sabathia a chance to finish, as he gave up an infield single to pinch-hitter Terry Tiffee and left after throwing 118 pitches. Sabathia allowed four runs and six hits in 8 2-3 innings.

Twins starter Brad Radke cruised into the seventh with a 4-1 lead, but had it all fall apart in the span of four batters as the Indians hit three straight doubles and a triple to tie it.

Alex Cora led off with a fly ball to the gap in left-center that dropped in between outfielders Stewart and Torii Hunter, who stared at each other waiting for the other to take charge.

Ronnie Belliard followed with an RBI double, and Grady Sizemore blooped a two-base hit to make it 4-3. Casey Blake then hit a shot to right-center that Hunter nearly grabbed after a long run but had the ball bounce off his glove, allowing Sizemore to score and chase Radke.

The Twins wiggled out of the inning with no more damage as J.C. Romero struck out two and right fielder Jacque Jones made a diving catch on Gerut's flare.

Radke gave up four runs and 12 hits in six-plus innings. In his previous start against Cleveland, he threw a three-hit shutout.

-The Associated Press

17 Archives

The Associated Press