Left out? The pros, cons of being a 'leftie' at OU

After three years of worrying about finding a left-handed desk in each of her classes, Ohio University junior Laura Alexander finally resorted to writing on her lap.

There're definitely classrooms where they don't have left-handed desks

Alexander said.

I feel discriminated against because there's a limited number of left-handed desks in the rooms said sophomore Justin Zenz. I have to leave for class early just to get one in time.

People call him wrong-handed Zenz said.

A 30-person classroom usually has one row of left-handed desks, said Lynnette Clouse, projects manager and interior designer for facilities planning. Usually desk vendors have a standard for how many desks they put in.

Sophomore Natalie Hinton said in smaller rooms they are a little more common. She has grown accustomed to not having a left-handed desk because she never had them in high school.

Facilities planning does not take the number of left-handed students at OU into consideration, but Clouse said they do not often get complaints from left-handed students.

Hinton helped to start a group on www.thefacebook.com for left-handed people. The group has 267 people. Posts on the Web page gripe about the disadvantages of being a leftie -particularly as a student.

No statistics were available on the number of left-handed students at OU, but according to most sources, between 10 and 15 percent of the population is left-handed.

It's just kind of nice to find out who's left-handed. Most of the time

people don't even realize it

Hinton said.

A huge pet peeve of many lefties is the smudging they get on their hand after writing, especially with pencil.

One advantage of being a left-hander is automatically getting the first base position in softball, Alexander said.

Left-handers usually can't play infield positions, except for pitcher or first base, said OU third baseman Brian Colopy, who bats left and throws right.

Hinton said being left-handed was an advantage when she played volleyball because the opposing team was surprised that the right side of the net was her strong side.

Alexander also pointed out that historically, many left-handers, such as Albert Einstein, came up with the greatest discoveries.

A few left-hander supply stores are scattered about the country, but none could be reached for comment by The Post. Some have Web sites, such as The Left Hand (www.thelefthand.com), which sells products such as left-handed notebooks and left-handed computer mice.

Many lefties don't know that a computer mouse can be programmed in the computer's control panel to switch the left and right click, said Sean O'Malley, IT communications manager of Communication Network Services.

Juniata College in Pennsylvania offers an academic scholarship for left-handed students, which was donated by a left-handed couple in the '70s. It is offered to one to three students each year, said Randy Rennel, director of student financial planning at Juniata College. OU does not offer a scholarship for left-handers.

17

Archives

Ellie Behling and Heather Irish