Mayor speaks to Dems

Athens County Democrats were given a preview of the 2006 gubernatorial race last night at their annual spring dinner, when Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman spoke about the reasons behind his campaign.

Coleman told an audience of about 200 at the American Legion, 520 W. Union St., that Ohio needs better leadership.

The safest thing for me to have done is to stay mayor. But I could no longer stand by

I had to stand up he said.

He said his main priorities as governor would be to create jobs, improve housing and to make college affordable for more people. He also said he was deeply troubled that people ages 18 to 24 are leaving Ohio faster than in any other state.

If you get a master's degree in Ohio you have a 30 percent chance of living in another state. If you get your Ph.D.

you have a 60 percent chance of living in another state. You can't build a foundation with that

he said.

Coleman is serving his second term as mayor of Columbus, after running unopposed in 2003. He began his career in public office serving as city council president from 1997 until his election to mayor in 1999.

He will face considerable opposition from U.S. Rep Ted Strickland, D-Lisbon, who after months of saying he would not run for governor, made an about-face and announced his conadiacy Monday.

His decision came as a surprise to many Athens County Democrats, including Councilwoman Carol Patterson, D-2nd Ward and former state Senate candidate Terry Anderson, who both said they will back Strickland for governor.

I think Ted has shown us his dedication to our area

Anderson said. He has shown honesty and integrity. He's been a wonderful congressman. He is a great human being.