Mom's Weekend competition brings accomplished alumnus

After a close contest on Mother's Day, the Ball State Cardinals overcame the Bobcats with a last-inning rally.

Mom's Weekend did not only bring mothers to the Bob Wren diamond but an Ohio baseball alumnus as well.

A 2002 graduate and standout Mike Arbinger made an appearance at the game Sunday afternoon and looked on as the Bobcats gave up the last contest of the three-game series against the Cardinals.

Arbinger played in the outfield as a Bobcat from 1999 to 2002 and came back to Athens for a quick visit.

I'm just visiting friends and on my way to the Frontier League for independent ball

Arbinger said. I'm making a pit stop to see these guys one more time before I go.

Arbinger played with a few current Bobcats back in his day such as Phil Sabatini, Dan O'Rourke, Ben Crabtree and Brian White.

I loved it here Arbinger said. This place is awesome. Pro ball is not like college where everybody's friends. It's just a different atmosphere. Pro baseball is more business-oriented. I just love Athens.

In Ohio history, he was a major record-breaker, including topping the season charts for slugging percentage and home runs. In addition to those season statistics, he took second for total bases, third for runs scored, fourth for runs batted in and placed in the top five for hits and batting average during his time as a Bobcat.

Arbringer had much to say about current catcher, Ben Crabtree, who is approaching a few records of his own as the season winds down.

I hope he gets all my records because he is a great hitter and I like his swing

Arbinger said. They're not going to stand for very long anyway. I broke someone's records that were before me

and I'm sure somebody will break all of mine. That's what they're there for.

For Ohio career statistics, Arbinger is still in first place for at-bats, runs scored and total bases. He is second in hits, home runs and runs batted in, third for games played and walks and fourth for doubles.

Adding to the accolades, Arbinger received the Bob Adams award for being an outstanding sophomore player in 2000. In 2002 he was honored with the First Team All-Mid-American Conference award, the Bob Wren Efficiency Award and the Frank Baumholtz award for highest batting average.

After he was released from the Pittsburgh Pirates last year, the Washington Wild Things, an independent team in Pennsylvania, picked up Arbinger for its next season.

Another Ohio alumnus and former Bobcat pitcher Chris Bova also will play for the Washington Wild Things next season.

(Bova) played for the Cardinals but was just released last month

Arbinger said. We picked him up.

-Claire McVicker

17

Archives

Claire McVicker

200505123139midsize.jpg