Montrosefest acts as opposing street party

A dead-end street in northern Athens staged its first attempt at an anti-Palmerfest street party Saturday night.

Residents of at least half of the houses on Montrose Avenue, which is off of Morris Avenue, organized an evening of beer pong and socializing to celebrate a close neighborhood relationship.

Lauren Auble, an Ohio University senior who has lived at 24 Montrose Ave. for two years, developed and organized Montrosefest as a chance to celebrate with neighbors one last time before she graduates.

At 10:30 p.m., the house's third keg had been tapped, and Auble said she was pleased with the outcome.

People are having a good time without being stupid

Auble said. That's what I like -people who know their limits and know how to have fun.

The date was selected before Auble realized Palmerfest was the same time, but she said she felt this lessened the threat of police.

Though participants were too poor to host a band, Auble said this also kept her from worrying about a noise violation.

Greg Moeller, first-year OU graduate student who lives at 20 Montrose Ave., said close friends came and made the night better than expected.

I thought it could have been pretty lame because of Palmerfest going on Moeller said.

Auble said she hopes Montrosefest will become an annual event.

Louise Koons, an OU sophomore, said she enjoyed her time at 28 1/2 Montrose Ave.

I like the atmosphere here Koons said. I know Palmerfest is insane. This is intimate and very comfortable.

-Brittany Kress

17

Archives

Brittany Kress