Rental costs could increase with OU enrollment

Being an Ohio University upperclassman comes with the privilege of living in a house or apartment, away from dining hall food and resident assistants.

But plans for a 400-student increase in the freshman class this fall could pose a challenge in two years when they flood Athens' housing market.

About 4,000 students are expected to enroll in the freshman class next fall, OU Provost Kathy Krendl said. Next year, the university will be able to house 7,636 students on campus, said Christine Sheets, business and residence services director.

Athens City Councilman Paul Wiehl, D-1st Ward, said the effect of the enrollment increase could be positive or negative. He is leery of the growth for a number of reasons.

If homes are converted to student rentals, many residents nearby will move out of town, Wiehl said, which weakens Athens.

This could become a Disneyland

and nobody lives in Disneyland Wiehl said, likening student-renter's party-hosting habits and temporary stays to a city without substance.

Administrators are meeting with neighborhood associations, Mayor Ric Abel, the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce and other city leaders, Krendl said.

We don't really have hard numbers; we haven't made decisions Krendl said. But we thought it was important to start the dialogue now. This is all very preliminary.

When President Roderick McDavis touched on his plans for increased enrollment during a luncheon with City Council a few weeks ago, He seemed to think it was a positive thing

mostly because he can get more money (from the state)

Wiehl said.

Increasing enrollment will be more expensive for everyone in the long run, said Joanne Prisley, chair of the Athens City Planning Commission and member of the Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority. She is a 1953 OU graduate and has lived in Athens since 1963.

As students take over rental properties, Prisley said she has watched her neighbors' homes turn to slums as rent costs rise. This forces low-and middle-income residents, who cannot compete in the rental market, out of town.

(McDavis) needs to learn a little bit more about the community before he comes up with these ideas

Prisley said. I could take (administrators) around for some walks that would open their eyes.

Prisley said she thinks the university's planning is unrealistic and potentially damaging. Instead, she thinks OU should further develop its branch campuses and limit Athens enrollment to 15,000, which is manageable for the city, she said.

From residents' perspectives, more students means less attention and protection by Athens police, Wiehl said.

I don't know if the city can handle the growth unless we have more resources

Wiehl said.

For example, OU's $44,000 gift to the city hardly covers one police officer's salary, said Wiehl, who has worked as a lab technician at OU for 20 years.

Because 75 percent of Athens city properties are rentals, Code Enforcement Director Steve Piersen said his staff is already somewhat overwhelmed. Rentals have to be inspected every two years.

If increased enrollment creates a demand for more housing, Athens' residents' homes most likely will be converted into rentals -with higher rents -because this business is more lucrative, Piersen said.

Limitations on the creation of bedrooms in the city means that existing family homes converted to rentals can only house three unrelated people unless they are re-zoned into a different category. The total number of people legally allowed to live in the 5,700 addresses registered in the city is about 13,000.

A potential developer is interested in building a 450-resident apartment complex where Bob's IGA is, Piersen said, which might compensate for the increased enrollment.

17

Archives

Brittany Kress