Runner earns conference honor in season opener

Ohio junior Scott Mayle was announced as the Mid-American Conference Track and Field Men's Athlete of the Week.

During the weekend, Mayle qualified for the NCAA Regionals in two events at the Campbell/Wright Open, hosted by Akron, while competing for the first time this season. Mayle qualified in the 100-meter dash with a first-place time of 10.50 seconds and in the long jump with a leap of 24-09.75.

Mayle is also a standout on the Ohio football team as a wide receiver. He joins Jericka Duncan, who qualified in the women's 100-and 400-meter hurdles earlier in the season, as the two Bobcats who have qualified for the NCAA Regionals thus far.

Softball senior picks up another honor Ohio softball senior Jennifer Tisevich was named to the first team All-MAC Tuesday night at the league's tournament banquet.

The only Bobcat to receive an award, Tisevich led the team with a .353 average going 53-for-150 this season. Doubling 16 times and tripling twice, she scored 26 times and hit six home runs, racking up 33 RBIs.

Wrestlers added to Ohio roster Ohio wrestling coach Joel Greenlee announced the addition of four wrestlers to the program.

Three high school standouts and one junior college national champion, all natives of Ohio, signed national letters of intent to join the 2005-06 Ohio wrestling program.

Zach Flake, of West Chester, won the junior college national title at 141 pounds for Lassen Community College in Susanville, Calif., this year. Flake will be a sophomore for Ohio because he was red-shirted his first year at Lassen.

Jason Marshall, of West Liberty, finished his high school season as this year's National High School Wrestling Championships runner-up and state champion at 215 pounds.

Kent Smith, of Bowling Green, finished his prep career at 160 pounds and as a four-time high school state qualifier, a freestyle and Greco-Roman club state champion and a two-time Junior Olympics silver medalist.

Clay Tucker, of Martins Ferry, recently finished second at Nationals at 140 pounds and was a high school All-American. Tucker won the 130-pound state title as a junior and is a four-time conference, sectional and district champ.

17 Archives

Leslie Heck