Skeptic surprised by Matthews album

The title Stand Up implies a semi-political, ultra-cheesy album that an aging dynasty like the Dave Matthews Band would come up with. In actuality, it is a powerful testament to the possibilities of blending many contemporary and classic sounds -something I can stand more than other Dave albums.

The band's sixth studio album is fresh -recognizably Dave, but devoid of all of what I like to call predictable DMB baggage. I'm actually wondering where they found the creative juices -is there some sort of new drug on the market I don't know about?

This new drug could be Grammy Award-winning producer Mark Batson, whose credits are as diverse as Eminem and India.Arie. Inspiration from the jazz-based artist shines through, making the band finally seem like an official jazz offspring. The use of many genres combines a nostalgic yet innovative feel.

The title track sounds like it might be a lame Everybody-get-up! song, but the funky sound actually documents a sexual experience about an angel with a potent effect. (I'll shoot you up again.) This pervasive, thrilling, thirsty love theme appears in other tracks, such as Dream Girl

the first track, and Hunger for the Great Light the last.

The gamut of sounds includes reggae in songs such as Old Dirt Hill which has a sandy, back-porch feel. Some songs have a straight-up bluegrass background or a classical ballet violin; others feature blues with a twinge of a synthesizer.

Many of the songs are airy but chilled out, with classic Dave guitar, such as the first single, American Baby

but others are more staid.

The beachside CD is offset by edgy tunes emphasized by the jazz sound. Songs such as Smooth Rider have guttural, steamy vocals. Whoa, Dave.

Out of My Hands is a haunting appeal from a suicidal man, featuring soft piano and military-like drums.

I do not have a DMB sticker on the back of my car and I still probably won't, but for the first time, I genuinely enjoyed listening to the band. I usually would listen to Dave only if I really needed background music or something to sleep to, but I think I actually can focus enough on this CD to listen to it in the car -my most elite music venue.

With so much mellow-rock competition, '90s pioneers like the Dave Matthews Band have to give a push to remain visible among the growing number of contemporary-rock artists. But Stand Up effortlessly stands out.

17

Archives

Ellie Behling