Sophomore chosen as new student trustee

Ohio University sophomore Micah Mitchell was appointed the university's newest student trustee.

Mitchell, an organizational communication major in the Honors Tutorial College, was selected from five applicants to be one of two students on the university's Board of Trustees acting as a representative of the student body.

I'd really just like to continue the things I've been doing

he said. I want to continue with student leadership on campus to continue being a part of efforts like strategic planning to improve the quality of life (in Athens).

Mitchell said he was the president of Unify, a student organization formed this quarter that aims at planning annual diversity conferences to serve as an information clearinghouse for other campus groups involved with diversity efforts.

He will serve alongside the board's other student trustee, Aslyne Rodriguez and will replace graduating senior Dustin Wood, whose term ended May 12.

I know Micah very well Wood said, and I think it's an exceptional selection. He's highly motivated and is very well-suited for the position.

Wood, Rodriguez and members of Student Senate interviewed all applicants for the position in February, and a representative of Gov. Bob Taft interviewed the five finalists May 3.

The four other finalists were Kristen Cooksey, John Dravenstott, Natalie Pariano and Sarah Slavik.

Mitchell, an Oberlin native, will begin his two-year term as trustee at the board's next meetings, June 23 and 24. He said he likely will serve on the board's Academic Quality Committee.

Alan Geiger, the board's secretary, was in Columbus yesterday and unavailable for comment.

17

Archives

Chuck Bowen

Communication major to focus on strategic planning, diversity