Student activity funds go unused

This past year, more than $65,000 allocated for student activities went untouched in the Student Activities Commission fund.

That's money that could go to benefit students

said Mike Easterday, Student Senate treasurer, at last night's senate meeting.

SAC, a branch commission of Student Senate, supplies money for all student organizations on campus. In the application process for funding, organizations indicate how much money they need and where it will go. SAC then audits and interviews members of the organization before deciding how much money to give them -if any.

There's a very rigorous and long and arduous process about getting SAC funding Easterday said. We ensure that those receiving the funds are truly organized and on top of things.

The money left over from this year is not due to a lack of interest, Easterday said. SAC set aside $50,000 to give organizations for next fall, but the amount of money requested from SAC totaled about $150,000.

Student organizations simply did not use the money effectively this past year, Easterday said. Any money not spent by organizations goes back into the SAC fund at the end of the year.

If we give you money and you don't spend it because your speaker doesn't show or something then we take that money back to reallocate the next year

Easterday said. This is sort of out of the ordinary. We've had a huge curve of organizations not putting on their programming.

The executives on SAC are currently working to ensure such a large surplus does not happen in the future. Easterday emphasized the intent of SAC is not to punish organizations or limit their funding.

SAC is a place where any student organization can come

Easterday said. What's really great is SAC

they really have the student organizations' heart in mind. We give out as much money as we can.

Also at last night's meeting, senate voted to commit to funding a student communication initiative called Stall Talk next year. As a result, all residence halls will have information hung in bathroom stalls about student issues and ways to contact senate beginning Fall Quarter.

It will cost senate $1,600 in plastic frames and adhesives and between $350 to $585 for copies, depending on how often senate opts to change out the information.

I hope that by putting these in the residence halls

first-year and second-year students will be able to exchange information with senate

said President Kristen Jensen. We'll be able to better represent them.

17

Archives