Student found dead in dorm room

An Ohio University student was found dead in a South Green residence hall room yesterday, campus police said, giving few other details about what happened.

Senior Terah Baldwin was found in Weld House, said OU spokesman Jack Jeffery. According to Jeffery, OUPD said the death is thought to be a suicide.

Baldwin, 21, was a sociology and pre-law major from Springfield. Jeffery said police would not provide any information regarding a possible motive.

Jeffery said the OU Police Department received a 911 call at 2:05 p.m yesterday and dispatched three cars to Weld. OUPD Chief Tony Camechis, who responded to the call, would not comment about the investigation.

Also present at the scene of the incident was Department of Residence Life Director Joe Burke, who refused to comment while at the scene and again in a phone call last night.

Martzolff Complex Resident Director Jennifer Flowers and some of Baldwin's acquaintances sat outside the building on the catwalk, comforting one another, while police were inside the building. The coroner arrived a few hours later, and Baldwin's body was removed at about 4 p.m.

Police plan to continue investigations of the alleged suicide in cooperation with the Athens County Coroner's Office, Jeffery said.

-Dwayne Steward

17 Archives

Dwayne Steward