Volleyball team looks for another successful season

Since volleyball coach Geoff Carlston stepped into the head coach position in 2003 at Ohio University, the volleyball team has had no problem winning championships, breaking records and gaining recognition. There is no doubt that under his tutelage and with seven returning players next year the same successful results will occur.

Geoff believes in the program and the players and our ability to do well and that makes us work and play hard to better ourselves

middle back Melissa Griffin said.

As reigning Mid-American Conference regular season and post-season champions for two straight years, the players and coaches have turned the program around to one that teams in the MAC are vying to beat.

Chances of a team in the MAC doing what we did last year is very unlikely so as a team we need to be ready Carlston said. The conference is only getting better and we have to be able to respond to that.

Seven players will be returning for the 2005 season including, outside hitters Julia Winkfield and Holly Schetzsle, both of whom made a major impact on the team last year as juniors and will be playing for their last season at OU.

Our two seniors have really grown in terms of leadership and in their athletic ability to help lead the team for the upcoming season Carlston said.

The major change next year will be the absence of MAC Player of the Year and National Setter of the Year Briana Adamovksy, who was considered to be the leader of the team last season. Taking over the setter position will most likely be Savanah Parra, whom Carlston has faith will help lead the team.

The team will be gaining seven freshmen for the upcoming season, the biggest expected class that Carlston has seen during his time as a coach.

We have a very talented freshman class coming in and this is going to allow the older players to really take on a leadership role

Carlston said. Definitely a high energy group coming in.

Last season, the team tallied 1,746 kills, 1,610 assists, and 1,594 digs. They also make 299.5 blocks and allowing only 94 serve receptions. The team ended its season with a perfect 16-0 MAC record and a 29-3 overall record with a MAC Championship win and a NCAA appearance under its belt.

With the team's successful 2004 season, most people would assume these players feel pressure to do as well or better than the previous years, but for these talented volleyball players, just playing as well as they can and making strides as a team and as individual players, is most important.

Of course we want to do as well as we did last season

but really we just want to have a good season

at least give 110 percent and go out fighting

Schetzsle said.

With only three months remaining to prepare for their 2005 season, these players are wasting no time working on their game to be ready for the upcoming season, which they hope will be a repeat performance of 2004.

And when it comes to the players' abilities, Carlston has no doubt they will be able to compete and win against the best.

We are going to have 14 players and they are all going to be good and they are all going to compete

Carlston said. There will be healthy competition for the season.

17

Archives