Ohio politicans raid the tobacco fund, yet again

In what has seemingly become a standard practice, the Ohio Legislature has once again decided to siphon off funds from the Ohio Tobacco Use and Control Foundation -money that had originally promised to fund anti-smoking programs -and divert the funds into other state funded operations that are in need of financial assistance. However, this method of robbing Peter to pay Paul recently has become even more odious than past abuses.

Instead of the original proposed removal of money within the tobacco fund, between $60 million and $90 million, a new amendment to the biannual state budget calls for $216 million from the tobacco fund to be used to finance other state initiatives such as the E-Check program and a building construction fund for schools.

It is tempting to overlook the abuse of the tobacco fund because it will result in more money for Ohio schools, which are always financial strapped, but even the predicted benefits simply do not have enough merit to justify this action. The withdrawal of any of the money in the tobacco fund is wrong, and the removal of this much money from the fund is reprehensible.

Whether or not an individual supports the existence or purpose of this fund is of little consequence in these matters. The fact is that the tobacco fund was established as part of a settlement with the tobacco industry to reimburse governments burdened by the costly effects of smoking-related illnesses. As such, the money contained within the fund was directed to alleviate the financial costs the state incurred -in regard to smoking-related illnesses -and not to become the state's piggy bank whenever it needed a little extra capital.

By siphoning off money from the fund the state is supporting other industries at the expense of another. Although it would be wonderful to see Ohio schools become more prosperous, such a change needs to be under the right pretenses. It must come from a new source of revenue -obviously that is easier said than done -and not from the money of other public policy programs.

Further, the abuse of the tobacco fund is more than unfair or wrong -it is extremely shortsighted. The decision to raid the fund has been justified by some legislators because the state government has promised to repay the money that they have taken, or will in the future. However, the time table for the repayment is set for well into the next decade, about 2015, and it is important to note that most of the current legislators -if not all -will no longer hold office at that time and will leave their successors to clean up their mess.

Although it might be good politics for the current Ohio legislators it will inevitably be bad for the next generation of Ohio politicians and the taxpayers as well. The tobacco fund exists for a specific directive, and cannot be routinely sacrificed to meet other demands of the state -no matter how pressing -and such a misuse of these current finds can only harm the state in the future.

17 Archives

The Post Editorial Board