Plant's chemicals contaminate nearby residents' drinking water

CHARLESTON, W.Va.-Residents who depend on water contaminated with a chemical used to produce Teflon have up to 80 times more of the chemical in their blood streams than the general population, according to a study released yesterday.

The finding suggests that drinking water, rather than air emissions, is the primary way the chemical ammonium perfluorooctanoate, also known as C8, enters the body, said Dr. Edward Emmett of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He conducted the study using a grant from the National Institute of Environmental Health Studies.

The study reviewed blood samples taken from 326 randomly selected Ohio residents who live near DuPont Inc.'s Washington Works Plant in West Virginia. The plant uses C8, which is widely used to produce the nonstick substance Teflon and a variety of other products from flooring to clothing.

The plant is at the center of a class-action lawsuit involving the chemical. Ohio and West Virginia residents sued DuPont in 2001, alleging the Delaware-based company intentionally withheld and misrepresented information concerning the nature and extent of the human health threat posed by C8 in drinking water.

To settle the case, DuPont agreed earlier this year to fund a health screening of up to 80,000 residents to determine if their health has been affected by drinking the water. The screening is expected to take a year to complete. It also agreed to upgrade six area water treatment plants to filter out C8.

Earlier this month, DuPont was named in another class-action lawsuit that alleges it failed to warn consumers on the dangers of C8.

Study results released yesterday were not part of the DuPont-funded health screening and were based on blood samples taken last year and earlier this year from residents of Little Hocking, Belpre, Cutler and Vincent.

Although West Virginians also rely on C8-contaminated water, Emmett said the study focused on the four Ohio communities because the residents depend on the same water source. Private wells were not included.

While C8 is persistent in the environment, the average level of C8 in the general population is about 5 parts per billion, Emmett said. The median level among the residents was: Belpre, 298 ppb; Little Hocking, 327 ppb; Cutler, 328 ppb; and Vincent, 369 ppb. Individual results were sent to study participants.

Our results show that the median levels recorded in participants in the study were from 60 to 80 times higher than general-population levels

said Emmett. In addition increased levels were found in both sexes and all age groups including children and the elderly.

While C8 has been used since World War II, its long-term effects on humans are unknown. Once ingested, the chemical is known to have a half-life of four to five years, Emmett said.

A federal scientific review panel has said the chemical is likely to be a carcinogenic to humans. DuPont officials have said last year's study of about 1,100 West Virginia plant employees did not suggest PFOA exposure can cause cancer. Those employees were not included in Emmett's study.

Emmett declined to release details on possible health issues found from his sampling, saying such information may be discussed at a public meeting on Aug. 15 in Vincent. Sampling results already have been given to local health officials.

Because of this information

we're able to ... convert this into some useful public health information on what should be done in this instance

he said.

Public health agencies should reconsider how they conduct risk assessments for public exposure to C8.

DuPont said it was encouraged by the scientific approach taken in one of the first definitive community exposure studies measuring PFOA.

The study's findings reinforce actions we agreed to take as part of the court approved settlement

and we have placed a high priority on completing the installation of the water treatment systems

said Bill Hopkins, Washington Works plant manager.

17

Archives

The Associated Press