Precollege prepares students for college life

The hottest consecutive days of summer kicked off Ohio University's annual incoming-freshman orientation program this week. Precollege provides future Bobcats with a thorough tutorial of the ins and outs of OU life.

We're covering just about everything

said Richard Linn, director of orientation programs.

In one-and-a-half days, students learn about nearly every aspect of OU. Incoming freshmen are told about the university's storied history and educational requirements, as well clubs and organizations in which they can become involved. Students take math, chemistry and language placement tests, register for courses, receive dorm room assignments and student IDs and learn of their conduct expectations. And, perhaps most importantly, they are paired with their academic advisors.

Linn said the goal of the program is to start incoming students off on the right foot.

We're looking to get them scheduled into their fall classes teach them something about the academic process of scheduling and mapping out their career here Linn said. Staying in the dorms and eating in the dining halls provide students with an important preview of residential life

as well.

Precollege enrolls about 290 students per day this year, a figure that has risen from 250 in 2004, said Linn. Students are divided by major into groups of 13 or 14 to tour campus with a student and a faculty advisor. A student-only question-and-answer session provides them with a comfortable forum in which they can ask student advisors candid questions about alcohol, drugs, Halloween and other potential issues they might face at college, said Linn.

Attendance by students' parents is a major part of Precollege as well.

I thought it was great. They're very informative with the parents

said Mary Viguers, whose daughter, Jill, will be a fine arts major this fall.

Paul Marshall, whose son Paul is an OU club hockey team candidate and a soon-to-be education major, appreciated the level of attention he received from the Precollege staff.

The staff would take time with you

he said. They would answer any question

no matter how detailed or repetitive it was.

Linn said providing such a high level of student and parent attention is the primary focus of Precollege.

I think if there's anything that the parents and students will come away with from this program

it will not be a feeling that 'I didn't get any attention.' It will be a feeling that 'these people are interested in my success

' Linn said.

Linn said he wants parents and students to leave Precollege with no questions unanswered, and hopes the experience will encourage dialogue between students and parents about their upcoming OU experience after they return home.

Linn credits much of the program's success to the teamwork of the well-trained Precollege student staff, which comprises about 50 student advisors. Spring Quarter graduate Ronny Murphy is in his second year of assisting with the Precollege program.

It's an amazing program

he said. Not only for the students that come through

but for everybody involved in general.

Murphy became involved with the program last year to benefit from the team-building and personal skills that are provided by involvement in the program. He said the experience of working with incoming freshman is stressful, but rewarding.

The reward