Quilt National combines effort, art

At Quilt National 2005, the quality and vibrant colors of the quilts are just as striking as the ability of the gallery space to reflect the essence of the exhibit. The Dairy Barn Southeastern Ohio Cultural Arts Center retains the atmosphere of a barn while functioning as an art gallery, just as the Quilt National quilts retain many of the conventions of traditional quilts but function as art.

Quilt National, since its start in 1979, has given attention to art quilts. This exhibit occurs every other summer and is currently in its 14th year. Hilary Fletcher, Quilt National project director, said the exhibit's entries reflect the evolution of the bedroom quilt. Repeated patterns, blocks and traditional subjects all are used by Quilt National artists, but they are able to avoid the restrictions of having to design quilts to fit beds.

Media and size separate them from traditional quilts. Materials used by exhibitors include gesso and ink. Elizabeth Brimelow's Fakenham Fen is displayed in two separate pieces, and Fletcher noted this was because the artist wanted a larger piece than the fabric allowed. This piece stands out because of its own airy quality, and also because of the way it is displayed. It hangs alone from the ceiling and because of its strong diagonal lines, translucence and the gallery's gentle backlighting, the piece projects a sense of airy movement.

The majority of the quilts are displayed similar to paintings, either hung from the ceiling, mounted on walls or on hanging display boards. The open, rustic atmosphere of the barn's main Sauber Gallery generally complements the quilts, though some viewers did complain about poor lighting on Lori Lupe Pelish's Safe in Suburbia

winner of the Brakensiek Caught Our Eye Award. Her quilt, depicting two people sitting at a table, is shaded by a selection of fabrics.

Susan Else's Bingo! a free-standing fabric rendition of a bingo game, stretches the traditional idea of quilting. Her piece is detailed right down to the dabbers in the players' hands.

More normally shaped quilts, such as Jeanne Williamson's best-in-show Orange Construction Fence Series #29 also transcend accepted ideas of quilting. Williamson's piece incorporates patterns and colors of construction fences and a striking combination of bright orange, white and black detailing that resembles tire tracks. While not the most aesthetically pleasing quilt on display, when viewed up close, Williamson's quilt is seen to be one of the most thoughtful and well constructed.

Subject matter ranges from abstract to straightforward, though many quilts incorporate farm elements such as fruits and vegetables, like Elia Wood's photo transfer, A Salad Ballad. One of the more straightforward quilts is the light-hearted Caution: Women at Work. This somewhat-simplistic quilt is a motif of a woman in a hard hat holding a hammer; it is a direct illustration of the title in a traditional block format.

Quilt National 2005 will be exhibited through Labor Day, then three divisions of the exhibit will tour over the next two years, Fletcher said. More information on the exhibit is available at the Quilt National Web site, http://www.quiltnational.com. Admission prices are $5 for general admission, $3.50 for seniors and students and free for Dairy Barn members and children under 12. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with extended hours and reduced admission Thursdays from 5 to 8 p.m.

17

Archives

Megan Chew

200507213146midsize.jpg

Susan Else's Bingo!

a fabric rendition of the popular game, is on display at the Quilt National exhibit at Dairy Barn, 8000 Dairy Lane. Quilt National, which runs through Labor Day, takes place every other year and is currently in its 14th year. It sho