Survey shows most hospitals do not provide emergency contraception

On July 13, NARAL Pro-choice Ohio Foundation released in Columbus the results of their Access to Emergency Contraception in Ohio Emergency Rooms survey, which shows that emergency contraceptives are not readily available in most hospital emergency rooms.

The survey, conducted by Jamie Miracle, found that only two emergency rooms of the 151 surveyed said they would give emergency contraception under any circumstance.

According to Barb Lanier-Jones, assistant nurse manager at the O'Bleness Memorial Hospital emergency room department, emergency contraception can be prescribed in the emergency room only after the patient has met with a doctor.

Many proponents of emergency contraception -often called the morning-after pill -say its distribution would reduce the number of unintended pregnancies by 50 percent and would, in turn, reduce the number of abortions.

The main issue with emergency contraception is that it is the same as birth control

which is taken by women every day said foundation director Kellie Copeland.

She said she hopes the study will encourage change in policy so that women in need can receive aid. Copeland declined to release names of the hospitals surveyed, citing concerns that such an action would be seen as an attack on those hospitals.

Athens resident Liz Braun said she is concerned with the fact that it is the doctor's decision, not the patient's, to prescribe emergency contraception.

Most advice columns in women's health magazines suggest that you see your gynecologist for a prescription Braun said. The problem is that their offices are only open Monday through Friday

and on weekends

the emergency room is the only option.

Ohio University graduate student Sarah Starliper expressed concerns that more hospitals do not prescribe emergency contraception because they do not account for crime victims.

It is important

especially for rape victims

to have the option (of emergency contraception) available

she said.

17

Archives