Anti-war group advocates counter-recruitment

Activists against military recruitment on college and high school campuses spoke last night to Ohio University students and faculty about recruitment myths and government deception.

The Pittsburgh Organizing Group, a youth-based group for social and economic justice, met in Bentley Hall to discuss the counter-recruitment movement's efforts to end the U.S. war in Iraq.

Anti-war activist groups of OU students and Athens residents, including InterAct, Positive Action and the Athens Can't Wait Coalition, sponsored POG's visit and support its mission.

Demonstrations are not capable of bringing the war to an end

and counter-recruitment can said POG's Alex Bradley. Direct action, such as blocking the entrance to a recruitment office or booth, makes an immediate difference, whereas protests are more symbolic, he said.

POG aims to educate students and citizens about the truths of government recruitment efforts through presenting fliers outside high schools and unfurling protest banners in front of recruitment stations. In a previous effort, the group painted baby dolls to appear dead, attached them to information on the Iraqi war and strategically placed them around Pittsburgh, Bradley said.

There is such a disconnect between reality and what the government presents he said.

Only 35 percent of enlistees receive any GI bill funds for college - only 15 percent of enlistees ever receive a college degree

a POG brochure stated. In addition, the back of enlistment contracts state that no promise made by recruiters has to be kept, according to the brochure.

Political protests and movements inevitably will be met with police and state repression. The effects of opposition demonize protestors and reduce the appearance of dissent, said De'Anna Caliguiri of POG.

Caliguiri was involved in an Aug. 20 protest in Pittsburgh in front of a recruitment office and was pepper-sprayed and subdued by police and then Tasered, she said.

A number of Athens anti-war activists participated in that protest, which received national media coverage concerning police brutality, POG member David Meieran said.

Several Athens groups will host a POG-inspired effort Nov. 2 to shut down the local recruitment office, InterAct member Damon Krane said.

The course of action is decided by membership

he said. If more people join (the effort)

the more action (there will be).

17

Archives

Maria Gallucci and Tobey White