Athens offers plenty of finds for shoppers willing to look

Yes, the rumors are true. This week's column will provide you with the ultimate Athens shopping guide. I know, it is like heaven squashed into article form.

Though some people might describe the shopping options in Athens as nonexistent, there is a perfect place to find each thing - you just have to know what you want.

Athens Underground: Heaven on earth if you love costume jewelry and outrageous accessories. You cannot beat the atmosphere, and you will find interesting and unique stuff there. I am partial to jewelry, of course, but they also have great scarves, bags and vintage clothes and appliances. It is the only place in Athens where yours truly seriously contemplates dipping into her Manolo Blahniks fund!

Fig Leaf: Great if you are looking for trendier jewelry, especially if you are in the market for earrings. Their earrings are big, and the best part is that they usually have each style in a variety of colors, so it is easy to find the perfect pair to match your outfit. The clothes can only be described as flashy

but they are fun for going out if you want something shiny - and sequined.

Artifacts Gallery: A little bit funkier, and they also sell amusing trinkets in addition to shoes, purses, clothes and jewelry. I own several necklaces, and I am in love with several more, but I have not scraped together enough cash yet to buy them.

Skis Teases: Best place to buy T-shirts in all of Athens. They come in a wide variety of colors and have fabulous, witty sayings on them (most of which you would never see on a T-shirt from College Book Store). In fact, I am debating the merits of buying a Who Let the Dads Out T-shirt for dear old dad.

New-To-You Shoppe: Every Ohio University student must make a pilgrimage to this thrift store at some point; it is great for costume accessories, old OU merchandise and the occasional fabulous find. A male friend of mine purchased a red lace bra there for a Rocky Horror costume, and another friend found a gorgeous skirt. You never know what kind of gems you will find.

The Other Place: Definitely has the trends covered. It is one of those places where you do not see anything you want at first glance, but then you see the one thing you simply cannot live without. I experienced this phenomenon myself just a few weeks ago when I fell in love with a shirt, tried it on several times, petted it, visited it, put it on hold and finally bought it. It was quite an ordeal, but hey, it is in my closet now.

Wal-Mart: Do not look at me like that! Say what you will about Wal-Mart, but it really does have everything. Wal-Mart is no Target when it comes to clothes, but they have cute, cheap shoes I can't resist, and their lingerie section (including underwear and hosiery) is tons of fun. Their jewelry selection is surprisingly lovely and inexpensive, as well.

I know there are some places I missed, and I'm sure some people will hiss and boo at me for mentioning Wal-Mart, but that is part of the beauty of Athens - I am always discovering new things about it. So shop until your heart's content, and if you find some fabulous places that I missed, feel free to return the favor and give your favorite fashion columnist a tip!

- Erin Smith has been told she looks weird without accessories. Send her an e-mail at es155503@ohiou.edu. 17

Archives

Erin Smith